Open Payments Data Overview
Over the past seven years, CMS has published a total of 80.66 million records, accounting for $68.44 billion in payments and ownership and investment interests.
Open Payments Program Year 2022
14.11 Million Total Records Published in 2022
What Data is Reported to Open Payments?
Data is reported across three payment categories:
- General Payments - Payments or transfers of value that are not in connection with a research agreement or research protocol
- Research Payments - Payments or transfers of value made in connection with a formal research agreement or research protocol
- Ownership and Investment Interests - Information about the ownership or investment interests that physicians or their immediate family members have with the reporting entities
These payments can be reported as:
- Direct Payments - Paid directly to covered recipients
- Indirect Payments - Paid indirectly to covered recipients through an intermediary such as a medical specialty society
- Third Party Payments - Designated by covered recipients to be paid to another party
Reporting entities may request a delay in publication for certain payment records related to research and development. A delay in publication request may be renewed annually up to four calendar years after the date of payment.