Every year, CMS will update the Open Payments data at least once after its initial publication. The refreshed data will include updates to data disputes and other data corrections made since the initial publication of this data documenting payments or transfers of value to physicians and teaching hospitals, and physician ownership and investment interests. This financial data is submitted by applicable manufacturers and applicable group purchasing organizations (GPOs).
What data is collected?
Applicable manufacturers and GPOs submit data to Open Payments about payments or other transfers of value between applicable manufacturers and GPOs and physicians or teaching hospitals:
- Paid directly to physicians and teaching hospitals (known as direct payments)
- Paid indirectly to physicians and teaching hospitals (known as indirect payments) through an intermediary such as a medical specialty society
- Designated by physicians or teaching hospitals to be paid to another party (known as third party payments)
There are three distinct ways for you to review and search the data (and remember, you can view the summary data dashboard for an overview of published data):
- Search – Use the search tool to review identified data for physicians, teaching hospitals, or companies making payments by name, city, state, and specialty
- Visualize – Use the Data Explorer tool to view the full data sets and create visualizations.
- Download – Select a full data set and download it in .csv format.
For a summary of Program Year 2018 click here (PDF).
Find more information and a complete list of the data collected about each transaction in the Methodology and Data Dictionary Document (PDF).
* The Open Payments Final Rule §403.910 provides applicable manufacturers and applicable GPO's the opportunity to request a delay in publication for a period not to exceed four calendar years after the date the payment or other transfer of value was made, or upon the approval, licensure or clearance of the covered drug, device, biological, or medical supply by the FDA.