Elder Abuse Prevention
As the number of older adults increases nationally, communities face growing concerns about the abuse of their elders. Elder abuse can be difficult to spot, and it often happens at the hands of family caregivers. The resources below can help tribes educate their communities about elder abuse and ensure their elders are honored and protected. The resources include information on elder abuse prevention needs and strategies that have worked for tribal communities.
Elder Abuse in Indian Country
- Elder Abuse in Indian Country: An Annotated Bibliography (PDF) (PDF, 941 KB, 42 pages)
Defines the types of elder abuse, causes, and prevention strategies, with special attention given to issues unique to AI/AN populations
- Reclaiming What Is Sacred: Addressing Harm to Indigenous Elders and Developing a Tribal Response to Abuse in Later Life (PDF, 9.41 MB, 66 pages)
Offers strategies for preventing elder abuse and encourages communities to look closely at the treatment of elders and use local strategies to compassionately and effectively respond to abuse
Resources from the Administration on Community Living
The Administration on Community Living offers information to help identify and report elder abuse.
- Learn about types of elder abuse and discover the warning signs.
- Find information on what to do if you suspect elder abuse.
Elder Abuse Codes
The National Indigenous Elder Justice Initiative gathered elder abuse codes from tribes across Indian Country to help elders and their families protect against or address elder abuse. View the tribal elder abuse codes.
Elder Abuse Prevention Program Profiles
This fact sheet highlights research findings on elder abuse in Indian Country.
- Best Practices in Elder Abuse Prevention: A Snapshot of Research Findings (PDF) (PDF, 76 KB, 1 page)
Provides an overview of elder abuse and recommends prevention strategies
These fact sheets describe programs that offer elder abuse prevention services and include successful strategies, funding, and lessons learned.
- Adult Services Program: Poarch Band of Creek Indians (PDF) (PDF, 118 KB, 2 pages)
Highlights the tribe’s elder abuse prevention services, which include oversight, intervention, and case management
- Elder Abuse Prevention Interventions Program: Winnebago Tribe of Nebraska (PDF) (PDF, 93 KB, 2 pages)
Describes strategies the tribe uses to prevent elder abuse, including home visits and an elder abuse hotline
- Elder Abuse Prevention: Oneida Tribe of Indians of Wisconsin (PDF) (PDF, 136 KB, 2 pages)
Provides an overview of the tribe’s prevention program, which offers intervention and referral services for elders
- Elderly Protection Team Department: Standing Rock Sioux Tribe (PDF) (PDF, 159 KB, 2 pages)
Describes the tribe’s Elderly Protection Team, which helps protect elders and advocates for those who are unable to initiate court actions themselves
- Elderly Services Program: Central Council Tlingit and Haida Indian Tribes of Alaska (PDF) (PDF, 94 KB, 2 pages)
Offers an overview of an elder abuse prevention program that serves communities in Southeast Alaska
View these webinar recordings and materials to learn more about elder abuse prevention in Indian Country.
- Elder Abuse Prevention Resources in Indian Country Webinar: National Indigenous Elder Justice Initiative (NIEJI) (2016)
Learn what types of resources NIEJI provides related to elder abuse prevention and how to find technical assistance and resources
- Elder Justice in Indian Country (2012)
Understand the signs of possible elder abuse and what to do if you see them
Elder Abuse Prevention Resources
- National Center on Elder Abuse
Offers information about elder abuse prevention research, training, practices, news, and resources
- National Indigenous Elder Justice Initiative
Provides information to assist tribes in preventing elder abuse and creates culturally sensitive resources for tribes, health care providers, and law enforcement to help protect elders
- Center for Rural Health
Connects rural and tribal communities with tools and information to promote the wellbeing of elders