Get payment rates for the 2020-2021 flu season.
Frequency & Coverage
- Medicare Part B covers one flu shot per flu season
- Medicare covers additional flu shots if medically necessary
- A patient could get the seasonal flu shot twice in a calendar year for two different flu seasons, and Medicare would pay for each shot
People with Medicare pay nothing for a flu shot if the doctor or other qualified health provider accepts assignment for giving the shot:
- Copayment/coinsurance waived
- Deductible waived
Find the right HCPCS, CPT, and ICD-10 codes for the flu shot.
Institutional Providers: Additional Information
Get more information on facility and bill types.
Roster Billing for Mass Immunizers
Get coverage requirements, elements & centralized billing information if you’re a mass immunizer and offer flu and pneumococcal shots to many people.
- Coverage, coding & billing for all Medicare preventive services
- Codes, frequency & billing (PDF) for Part B immunizations
- Immunizations (PDF): Medicare Benefit Policy Manual - Chapter 15: Section 184.108.40.206
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Influenza website
- CDC Frequently Asked Flu Questions: 2020–2021 Influenza Season website