Measures Management System
In response to an ever-increasing demand for quality measures, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) developed a standardized system for developing and maintaining the quality measures used in its various accountability initiatives and programs. Known as the Measures Management System, CMS-funded measure developers (or contractors) should follow this core set of business processes and decision criteria when developing, implementing, and maintaining quality measures.
Best practices for these processes are documented in the manual, A Blueprint for the CMS Measures Management System (the Blueprint). CMS uses the standardized processes documented in the Blueprint to ensure that the resulting measures form a coherent, transparent system for evaluating quality of care delivered to its beneficiaries.
Call for Measures Page
During information gathering, measure developers search for existing or similar measures that may be available. Developers post materials on the Call for Measures page to request that suitable candidate measures be submitted for their projects.
Technical Expert Panels Page
CMS uses groups of stakeholders and subject matter experts to provide technical input to measure developers on the development, selection and maintenance of measures. Calls for TEP member nominations, TEP rosters and TEP summaries are posted on the Technical Expert Panels page.
Public Comment Page
The measure development process is designed to be transparent. The public, including consumers, patients, providers, and other interested parties, are invited to provide input on measures under development. Materials are posted on the Public Comment page so people can review measure information and comment during the development process.
CMS Measures Management System (the Blueprint) Page
The most recent version of the Blueprint is available for download on the CMS Measures Management System page.
- Dialysis Facility Compare - Opens in a new window
- Home Health Compare - Opens in a new window
- Hospital Compare - Opens in a new window
- Nursing Home Compare - Opens in a new window
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) - Opens in a new window
- American Medical Association Physician Consortium for Performance Improvement (AMA PCPI) - Opens in a new window
- Ambulatory Care Quality Alliance (AQA) - Opens in a new window
- Hospital Quality Alliance (HQA) - Opens in a new window
- National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) - Opens in a new window
- National Quality Forum (NQF) - Opens in a new window
- Reporting Hospital Quality Data Annual Payment Update (RHDAPU) Measures - Opens in a new window
- Physician Quality Reporting System
- Quality Measures
- Page last Modified: 08/27/2015 11:11 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins