Prospective Payment Systems - General Information
A Prospective Payment System (PPS) is a method of reimbursement in which Medicare payment is made based on a predetermined, fixed amount. The payment amount for a particular service is derived based on the classification system of that service (for example, diagnosis-related groups for inpatient hospital services). CMS uses separate PPSs for reimbursement to acute inpatient hospitals, home health agencies, hospice, hospital outpatient, inpatient psychiatric facilities, inpatient rehabilitation facilities, long-term care hospitals, and skilled nursing facilities. See Related Links below for information about each specific PPS.
Zipcode to Carrier Locality File
This file is primarily intended to map Zip Codes to CMS carriers and localities. This file will also map Zip Codes to their State. In addition, this file contains an urban, rural or a low density (qualified) area Zip Code indicator.
For a one-stop resource web page focused on the informational needs and interests of Medicare Fee-for-Service (FFS) providers, including physicians, other practitioners and suppliers, go to the Provider Center (see under "Related Links" below).
- Zip Code to Carrier Locality File - Revised 2/15/2019 [ZIP, 4MB]
- Zip Codes requiring +4 extension - Revised 2/15/2019 [ZIP, 1KB]
- Changes to Zip Code File - Revised 11/14/2018 [ZIP, 447B]
- 2018 End of Year Zip Code File [ZIP, 4MB]
- 2017 End of Year Zip Code File - Updated 11/15/2017 [ZIP, 4MB]
- 2016 End of Year Zip Code File [ZIP, 4MB]
- 2015 End of Year Zip Code File [ZIP, 4MB]
- 2014 End of Year Zip Code File [ZIP, 4MB]
- Page last Modified: 03/08/2019 9:34 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins