esMD for Health Information Handlers
Health Information Handlers (HIHs) can provide software and communication services to help providers and suppliers securely exchange documentation with Review contractors using the Electronic Submission of Medical Documentation (esMD) System.
- Build a compliant and CONNECT-compatible gateway
- Use Reference Implementation and Outreach Coordinator (RIOC) software.
Refer to slides 14 and 15 of the Introducing esMD to New Providers, RCs, and HIHs (PDF) for more details.
CMS recommends that HIHs ensure they have an experienced technical staff to expedite all testing tasks and review the esMD HIH Implementation Guide (PDF) and the X12 Transaction Companion Guide and Codes (PDF). Knowledge of CONNECT software and the Simple Object Access Process (SOAP) User Interface (UI) tool is also helpful.
Current Release Documents
Release specific documents that are sent via notification by the esMD Help Desk will also be published on the website. The esMD technical team distributes the following documents during the course of the release:
- Release Summary Document (Notification 863, sent 4/6/2022) (PDF)
- HIH Preliminary Technical Release Changes Document (Notification 864, sent 4/6/2022) (PDF)
- HIH Final Technical Release Changes Document (Notification 868, sent 4/29/2022) (PDF)
Note: This section will have the documents for the upcoming release. After updates are available, all documents related to that release will be removed as all the details will become part of the HIH Implementation Guide (PDF).
Contact the esMD Help Desk for additional assistance.
View the Program Integrity Manual Section 184.108.40.206 – “Additional Documentation Request Required and Optional Elements” (PDF) in addition to the associated Program Integrity Manual Exhibits 46.1 – 46.5 (PDF).