Medicare provides coverage for implantable cardioverter defibrillators (ICDs) for certain patients and clinical indications. Detailed descriptions of the covered indications are available in the National Coverage Determination (NCD).
The initial data collection requirement through the American College of Cardiology's National Cardiovascular Data Registry (ACC-NCDR) has served to develop and improve the evidence base for the use of ICDs in certain Medicare beneficiaries. The data collection requirement ended with the posting of the final decision memo for Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators on February 15, 2018. We encourage the continuation and improvement of a voluntary registry for purposes of quality improvement, safety, and appropriate use verification.
- Decision Memo for Implantable Defibrillators - Opens in a new window
- NCD for Implantable Automatic Defibrillators - Opens in a new window
- American College of Cardiology-National Cardiovascular Data Registry - Opens in a new window
- Medicare Coverage Database - Opens in a new window
- Medicare Coverage Center
- Page last Modified: 06/22/2018 11:03 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins