Fire and Smoke Door Annual Testing Requirements in Health Care Occupancies
• In health care occupancies, fire door assemblies are required to be annually inspected and tested in accordance with the
2010 National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 80.
• In health care occupancies, non-rated doors assemblies including corridor doors to patient care rooms and smoke barrier
doors are not subject to the annual inspection and testing requirements of either NFPA 80 or NFPA 105.
• Non-rated doors should be routinely inspected as part of the facility maintenance program.
• Full compliance with the annual fire door assembly inspection and testing in accordance with 2010 NFPA 80 is required by
January 1, 2018.
• Life Safety Code (LSC) deficiencies associated with the annual inspection and testing of fire doors should be cited under
K211 – Means of Egress - General.