Coming in April 2018: New Medicare Card – New Number
Medicare is taking steps to from Medicare cards. In April 2018, people with Medicare will begin receiving new Medicare cards, replacing all cards by April 2019. These cards will have a Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) number that is randomly generated with “non-intelligent” characters that do not have any hidden or special meaning.
Providers who currently send Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) Medicare claims to the RRB Specialty Medicare Administrative Contractor, Palmetto GBA, will notice a change with the new cards:
- Providers will no longer be able to distinguish people with Railroad Medicare by the number on the card
- The RRB will continue to send cards with the RRB logo to people with Railroad Medicare
- We will return a message on the eligibility transaction response for a Railroad Medicare patient. The message will say, “Railroad Retirement Medicare Beneficiary” in 271 Loop 2110C, Segment MSG
- Providers may contact you to find out how to get this and other information
- Update your customers with this type of information
Keep your colleagues up to date on the transition to the MBI by posting a to your webpage.