The Medicare Program is the second-largest social insurance program in the U.S. The Boards of Trustees for Medicare (also Boards) report annually to the Congress on the financial operations and actuarial status of the program. Beginning in 2002, there is one combined report discussing both the Hospital Insurance program (Medicare Part A) and the Supplementary Medical Insurance program (Medicare Part B and Prescription Drug Coverage). The Office of the Actuary in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) prepared these reports under the direction of the Boards.
The Trustees Report is a detailed, lengthy document, containing a substantial amount of information on the past and estimated future financial operations of the Hospital Insurance and Supplementary Medical Insurance Trust Funds (see the links in the Downloads section below). We recommend that readers begin with the "Overview" section of the report. This section is fairly short, is written in "plain English," and summarizes all the key information concerning the expected financial outlook for Medicare. Substantial additional material is available in the later sections for those wishing to delve more deeply into the actuarial projections.
Expanded and supplementary tables have been provided to accompany the report.
See downloads below.
- 2015 Medicare Trustees Report [PDF, 2MB]
- 2015 Expanded and Supplementary Tables [ZIP, 204KB]
- 2014 Medicare Trustees Report [PDF, 2MB]
- 2014 Medicare Trustees Report Errata Sheet [PDF, 21KB]
- 2014 Expanded and Supplementary Tables [ZIP, 228KB]
- 2013 Medicare Trustees Report [PDF, 2MB]
- 2013 Expanded and Supplementary Tables [ZIP, 185KB]
- 2012 Medicare Trustees Report [PDF, 2MB]
- 2012 Expanded and Supplementary Tables [ZIP, 186KB]
Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins