Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services
Daniel Tsai, Deputy Administrator, and Director
Anne Marie Costello, Deputy Director
Sarah Vitolo, Deputy Director
Vacant, Deputy Director
Dr. Aditi Mallick, Chief Medical Officer
- Serves as CMS's focal point for assistance with formulation, coordination, integration, and implementation of all national program policies and operations relating to Medicaid, the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP), and the Basic Health Program (BHP).
- In partnership with States, assists State agencies in successfully carrying out their responsibilities for effective program administration and beneficiary protection, and, as necessary, supports States in correcting problems and improving the quality of their operations.
- Identifies and proposes modifications to Medicaid, CHIP, and BHP program measures, regulations, laws, and policies to reflect changes or trends in the health care industry, program objectives, and the needs of Medicaid, CHIP, and BHP beneficiaries. Collaborates with the Office of Legislation on the development and advancement of new legislative initiatives and improvements.
- Serves as CMS's lead for management, oversight, budget, and performance issues relating to Medicaid, CHIP, BHP, and the related interactions with States and the stakeholder community.
- Coordinates with the Center for Program Integrity on the identification of program vulnerabilities and implementation of strategies to eliminate fraud, waste, and abuse. Leads and supports all CMS interactions and collaboration relating to Medicaid, CHIP, and BHP with States and local governments, territories, Indian Tribes, and tribal healthcare providers, key stakeholders (e.g., consumer and policy organizations and the health care provider community) and other Federal government entities. Facilities communication and disseminates policy and operational guidance and materials to all stakeholders and works to understand and consider their perspectives, support their efforts, and to develop best practices for beneficiaries across the country and throughout the health care system.
- Develops and implements a comprehensive strategic plan, objectives, and measures to carry out CMS's Medicaid, CHIP, and BHP mission and goals and positions the organization to meet future challenges with Medicaid, CHIP, and BHP.