Center for Clinical Standards and Quality
Kate Goodrich, Director and CMS Chief Medical Officer
Jean Moody-Williams, Deputy Director
Megan Worstell, Acting Deputy Director
Shari Ling, Deputy Chief Medical Officer
Office of Clinician Engagement
Barry Marx, M.D., Director
Business Operations Group
Rachael Weinstein - Director
Udo Nwachukwu, Deputy Director
Division of Administrative Operations - Sherry Armstead, Director
Division of Budget and Contract Management - Doug Rimel, Director
Division of Survey and Certification and CLIA Budget – Jeff Pleines, Director
Clinical Standards Group
John Thomas, Director
Sheila Blackstock, Deputy Director
Division of Institutional Quality Standards - Lisa Parker, Director
Division of Non-Institutional Quality Standards - Maria Hammel, Director
Evidence and Analysis Group
Tamara Syrek Jensen, Director
Joseph Chin, M.D., Deputy Director
Evidence Development Division - Daniel Canos, Acting Director
Division of Policy and Evidence Review - Lori Ashby, Director; James Rollins, M.D., Deputy Director
Division of Business Operations - Tamara Syrek Jensen, Acting Director
Division of Policy Coordination and Implementation - Janet Brock, Director
Information Systems Group
Steven Davidson, Director
Mark Plaugher, Deputy Director
Systems Implementation Staff - Brent Weaver, Director
Information Security Staff - Seth Thomas, Director
Division of Quality Systems and Operations Support - Adam Heller, Acting Director; Vacant, Deputy Director
Division of Quality Systems Governance, Engineering, and Development - Tom Lantz, Director; Ginny Valles-McCullough, Deputy Director
Division of PQRS and ESRD Systems - Anne Weinstein, Director; Dana Boritz, Deputy Director
Division of Hospitals, ASC, and QIO Systems - Debra Santos, Director; Curtis Phillips, Deputy Director
Division of Quality Systems for Assessments and Surveys – Mitzi Christ, Director; Ellen Berry, Deputy Director
Division of Acquisitions and Budget - Jennifer Dubbs, Director; Kurt Austin, Deputy Director
Quality Improvement and Innovation Group
Dennis Wagner, Director
Jeneen Iwugo, Deputy Director
Division of ESRD, Population and Community Health - Traci Archibald, Director
Division of Beneficiary Healthcare Improvement and Safety – Steven Rubio, Director
Division of Program Management, Communications and Evaluation - Alfreda Staton, Director
Division of Quality Improvement Innovation Models Testing - Jade Perdue, Director
Division of Transforming Clinical Practices - Robert Flemming, Director
Quality Measurement and Value-Based Incentives Group
Danielle Andrews, Deputy Director
Division of Chronic and Post Acute Care - Mary Pratt, Director; Stella Mandi, Deputy Director
Division of Quality Measurement - Reena Duseja, M.D., Director; Cynthia Tourison, Deputy Director
Division of Electronic and Clinician Quality - Aucha Prachanronarong, Director; Regina Chell, Deputy Director
Division of Program and Measurement Support - Maria Durham, Director; Melissa Evans, Deputy Director
Division of Health Information Technology - Jayne Hammen, Director; Alexandra Mugge, Deputy Director
Division of Value, Incentives and Quality Reporting - Jim Poyer, Director; Tamyra Garcia, Deputy Director
Quality and Safety Oversight Group
David Wright, Director
Tennille Rogers, Acting Deputy Director
Division of Acute Care Services - Marie Vasbinder, Director; Pat Chmielewski, Deputy Director
Division of Clinical Laboratory Improvement and Quality - Karen Dyer, Director; Regina Van Brakle, Deputy Director
Division of Nursing Homes - Karen Tritz, Director; Evan Shulman, Deputy Director
Division of Continuing Care Providers - Peggye Wilkerson, Director; David Escobedo, Deputy Director
Quality and Safety Education Division - Anita Monteiro, Director
- Serves as the focal point for all quality, clinical, medical science issues, survey and certification, and policies for CMS' programs. Provides leadership and coordination for the development and implementation of a cohesive, CMS-wide approach to measuring and promoting quality and leads CMS' priority-setting process for clinical quality improvement. Coordinates quality-related activities with outside organizations. Monitors quality of Medicare, Medicaid, and the Clinical Laboratory and Improvement Amendments (CLIA). Evaluates the success of interventions.
- Identifies and develops best practices and techniques in quality improvement; implementation of these techniques will be overseen by appropriate components. Develops and collaborates on demonstration projects to test and promote quality measurement and improvement.
- Develops, tests, evaluates, adopts and supports performance measurement systems (i.e., quality measures) to evaluate care provided to CMS beneficiaries except for demonstration projects residing in other components.
- Assures that CMS' quality-related activities (survey and certification, technical assistance, beneficiary information, payment policies and provider/plan incentives) are fully and effectively integrated. Carries out the Health Care Quality Improvement Program for the Medicare, Medicaid, and CLIA programs.
- Oversees the planning, policy, coordination and implementation of the survey, certification and enforcement programs for all Medicare and Medicaid providers and suppliers, and for laboratories under the auspices of CLIA.
- Serves as CMS' lead for management, oversight, budget, and performance issues relating to the survey and certification program and the related interactions with the States.
- Leads in the specification and operational refinement of an integrated CMS quality information system, which includes tools for measuring the coordination of care between health care settings; analyzes data supplied by that system to identify opportunities to improve care and assess success of improvement interventions.
- Develops requirements of participation for providers and plans in the Medicare, Medicaid, and CLIA programs. Revises requirements based on statutory change and input from other components.
- Operates the Quality Improvement Organization and End-Stage Renal Disease Network program in conjunction with Regional Offices, providing policies and procedures, contract design, program coordination, and leadership in selected projects.
- Identifies, prioritizes and develops content for clinical and health related aspects of CMS' Consumer Information Strategy; collaborates with other components to develop comparative provider and plan performance information for consumer choices.
- Prepares the scientific, clinical, and procedural basis for coverage of new and established technologies and services and provides coverage recommendations to the CMS Administrator. Coordinates activities of CMS' Technology Advisory Committee and maintains liaison with other departmental components regarding the safety and effectiveness of technologies and services; prepares the scientific and clinical basis for, and recommends approaches to, quality related medical review activities of carriers and payment policies.
- Page last Modified: 06/06/2018 7:18 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins