The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
When assisting small employers with Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP) health insurance, agents and brokers can work with insurance companies to help employers enroll, manage coverage, and pay premiums.
Changes to SHOP beginning in 2018
The enrollment process is changing for SHOP plans that start on or after January 1, 2018. Small businesses and non-profits will now enroll through an insurance company or with the help of an agent or broker. Small employers will no longer enroll using HealthCare.gov.
Small employers that are new to SHOP insurance will need to verify their eligibility using the eligibility determination tool at HealthCare.gov. HealthCare.gov also offers important online SHOP resources for agents and brokers, and small employers.
For more information about the changes to SHOP plans for 2018, visit HealthCare.gov.
Registering for SHOP
Agents and brokers must still register to sell SHOP insurance.
- To register to sell SHOP insurance, you must have a CMS Enterprise Portal User ID. If you already have one to sell individual plans, you do not need to create a second account.
- After logging in or creating an account, select the agent/broker role and request “application access,” and then complete the identity proofing process. When finished, your CMS Enterprise Portal user ID will be activated.
- Next, you need to sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement in the Marketplace Learning Management System (MLMS) by logging into the CMS Enterprise Portal. Once you sign the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement, you’ll be able to sell SHOP insurance.
- All agents and brokers who have signed the SHOP Privacy and Security Agreement will be searchable by employers through the Find Local Help tool at HealthCare.gov.
Key SHOP Resources
- Minimum Participation Rate Calculator
- Who Can Use the SHOP Small Business Health Care Tax Credit & Premium Assistance Programs
- SHOP: Health Insurance for Small Business (Video)
For additional SHOP resources, visit:
SHOP Call Center:
Contact the SHOP Call Center at 1-800-706-7893 (TTY: 1-888-201-6445)