Resources for MACs Archive
If you are a Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC), here are some helpful resources. If you aren’t a MAC, you still might find these resources helpful to understand what MACs do and how they do it.
- Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR): CMS follows the requirements of the FAR in procuring and managing the MAC contracts.
- A/B Enterprise Claims Processing Architecture (PDF): This document presents a detailed enterprise architecture view of the Fee-for-Service (FFS) business in April 2006, focusing on the functional and technical environments for processing FFS claims.
- A/B-DME Workload Transition Handbook June 2014 (PDF): The A/B-DME Workload Transition Handbook was developed by the CMS Medicare Contractor Management Group for use by Medicare Administrative Contractors who are participating in a Medicare workload transition. The handbook provides information on the processes to transition from one MAC to another when a new contract is awarded.
- Compliance Program Guidance for FFS Contractors (PDF): All MACs shall have an effective compliance program in place. CMS has published its own guidance document, which MACs that are designing, implementing or evaluating their compliance programs may find useful.
- CMS hosted a two-day training session on the Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) under FAR on January 26 and January 27, 2005. The following topics were discussed:
- Types of Contracts (PDF): Provides an overview of the various types of contracts
- Proposal Presentation, Submission, and Related Supporting Information (PDF): Provides an overview of the requirements for submitting an adequate proposal
- Accounting and System Financial Capacity (PDF): Discusses accounting system reviews and financial capacity
- Provisional Rates (PDF): Provides an overview of the provisional billing rate process
- Incurred Cost Proposal Submission (PDF): Discusses format of submission, elements within the submission (such as direct and indirect costs), and unallowable costs
- HHSAR Requirements (PDF): Provides an overview of the Health & Human Service Regulation (HHSAR) regarding Facilities Capital Cost of Money (FCCOM) and Independent Research and Development (IR&D)
- Preparation of Interim and Final Vouchers (PDF): Provides an overview of interim and final vouchers and related documentation
- Cost Accounting Standards (PDF): Provides the history and purpose of CAS and provides detailed training information on several standards
- Disclosure Statement (PDF): Provides an overview of the purpose of a disclosure statement, filing process, and discussions of content information included
- Cost Accounting Changes and Cost Impact Statements (PDF): Discusses the impact of cost accounting changes relative to disclosure statements and the resulting cost impact statements
Page Last Modified:
12/04/2019 08:54 PM