The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services works to build bridges between the federal government and faith-based organizations to better serve individuals and families in need of information about health insurance, health care, prevention and wellness
- The open enrollment time for Medicare is October 15 to December 7. Seniors are encouraged to look at their Medicare plan and see if it is the best plan that meets their needs.
- The Medicare program is for people age 65 and older, under age 65 with certain disabilities, and people at any age with end-stage renal disease.
- Medicare 101 Power Point Slides explain how Medicare works and the choices consumers have when picking a plan. The Power Point Slides can be found here: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Education/Training/CMSNationalTrainingProgram/Classroom-Modules.html.
- State Health Insurance Assistance Programs (SHIPs) help consumers with local, personalized counseling and assistance for people with Medicare and their families. To find the SHIP near you, click here: https://www.medicare.gov/contacts/.
- More information about Medicare can be found at www.Medicare.gov.
- The open enrollment period for Medicaid is all year round.
- The Medicaid program is for people with low incomes. Medicaid is a joint federal and state government program that helps with medical costs for people with limited income and resources.
- To enroll in Medicaid, go to www.HealthCare.gov or visit your state Medicaid agency. Each state has different rules about eligibility and applying for Medicaid. For more information on how to enroll in Medicaid, click here: https://www.healthcare.gov/medicaid-chip/getting-medicaid-chip/
- Some people are eligible for Medicare and Medicaid. They are called Dually Eligible. Medicaid may also cover services not normally covered by Medicare (like long term supports and services and personal care services).
- For more information on the difference between Medicare and Medicaid, see our fact sheet: https://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11306.pdf.
Health Insurance Marketplace
- Open enrollment for the Health Insurance Marketplace begins on November 1 and ends December 15.
- The Marketplace helps uninsured people find health coverage. When you fill out the Marketplace application, we’ll tell you if you qualify for Private insurance plans or Medicaid or CHIP. You might qualify for lower costs based on your household size and income. If you don’t qualify for lower costs, you can still use the Marketplace to buy insurance. Plans cover essential health benefits, pre-existing conditions, and preventive care.
- To enroll and for more information, go to www.HealthCare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596. TTY users can call 1-855-889-4325. Customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- You can also click on Find Local Help to see a list of Navigators and Assisters who can help you enroll in your community.
- Outreach and education materials on the Marketplace can be found at www.Marketplace.cms.gov. Two publications that are particularly helpful are:
- Key dates: https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/key-dates-for-marketplace.pdf
- Need Health Coverage Double-Sided Postcard: https://marketplace.cms.gov/outreach-and-education/need-health-coverage-postcard.pdf
- You are welcome to share our outreach and education videos for the faith community:
Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)
- The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is open for enrollment year round.
- CHIP covers kids and teens with limited incomes, disabilities, and other circumstances.
- To enroll, visit www.HealthCare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596. TTY users can call 1-855-889-4325. Customer service representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can also call 1-877-KIDS-NOW (1-877-543-7669).
- For more information on CHIP, go to www.InsureKidsNow.gov.
We look forward to partnering with you on health and wellness issues! Stay in touch with us by signing up to receive our e-newsletter by emailing Partnership@cms.hhs.gov.
- Page last Modified: 09/06/2017 11:55 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins