Registration & Attestation
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is renaming the EHR Incentive Programs to the Promoting Interoperability (PI) Programs to continue the agency’s focus on improving patients’ access to health information and reducing the time and cost required of providers to comply with the programs’ requirements. CMS is also in the process of finalizing updates to the programs through rulemaking. For more information, visit the landing page where CMS will publish updates and additional resources as soon as they are available.
Note for Medicaid Eligible Professionals (EPs): Some states have not yet opened their Medicaid PI Programs (formerly known as the EHR Incentive Programs), EPs will not be able to register for a Medicaid PI Program until their state's program has launched and that state's site has opened. Information on when registration will be available for specific states is posted on the Medicaid State Information page.
Note for Eligible Hospitals that register for "Both Medicare & Medicaid": You may pre-register for the Medicaid PI Program before your state launches, but you will be placed in a "pending state validation" status for eligibility in the Medicaid PI Program. You will not be able to complete the Medicaid program eligibility requirements or receive a Medicaid incentive payment until your state’s program is launched. You may, however, continue with registration and attestation for the Medicare program. For a list of expected program launch dates, please visit the Medicaid State Information page.
Below are step-by-step guides to help you register and attest for PI Programs. These official guides provide easy instructions for using CMS systems, helpful tips and screenshots to walk you through the process, and important information that you will need in order to successfully register and attest. Please download the guide that best fits your needs:
- Registration and Attestation System
- Registration User Guide for Medicare EPs
- Registration User Guide for Medicaid EPs
- Registration User Guide for All Eligible Hospitals
- Identify & Access System Quick Reference Guide
- EHR Registration, Attestation, and PECOS Checklist
Note: Medicaid EPs and Medicaid-only eligible hospitals must attest though their State Medicaid Agency’s website. Please visit our Medicaid State Information page to learn more. Medicare eligible hospitals and dual-eligible hospitals must attest through the QualityNet Secure Portal. For more information on eligible hospital attestation, visit our Eligible Hospital Information page.
Are you registering on behalf of a Medicaid EP?
CMS allows an EP to designate a third party to register and attest on his or her behalf. To do so, users working on behalf of an EP must have an Identity and Access Management System (I&A) web user account (User ID/Password), and be associated to the EPs National Provider Identifier (NPI). If you are working on behalf of one or more EPs and do not have an I&A web user account, please visit I&A Security Check to create one.
Note: States and territories will not necessarily offer the same functionality for registration and attestation in the PI Program. Check with your state or territory PI Program to see what functionality is offered.
Before you attest, CMS has resources to organize your information and to make sure your attestation will be successful.
Note: EPs, eligible hospitals and CAHs also have the option to submit their group’s attestation information using the batch reporting option. For more information about batch reporting for the Medicare PI Program, visit the Attestation Batch Upload webpage.
- 2017 Eligible Hospital, CAH and Dual-Eligible Modified Stage 2 Attestation Worksheet
- Eligible Hospital, CAH and Dual-Eligible Stage 3 Attestation Worksheet
- Medicare eligible professionals (EPs) may contact the QPP help desk for assistance for participation years 2016 and earlier and choose the EHR Incentive Program legacy call option 1 (866) 288-8292 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medicaid EPs and hospitals participating with the Medicaid PI Program with inquiries about their participation should contact their state Medicaid agencies.
- Medicare & dually eligible hospitals participating in the Medicare & Medicaid PI Programs may contact the QNet help desk for assistance at 1 (866) 288-8912 or email@example.com.
- Page last Modified: 05/09/2018 1:51 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins