The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is authorized by Section 1106(c) of the Social Security Act to charge requesters the cost of making research data available. Once CMS approves data files for use, requesters must submit payment electronically.
CMS uses Pay.gov to allow requesters to electronically pay the fees associated with accessing CMS data. Pay.gov is operated by the U.S. Treasury Department and is a convenient and fast way to make secure electronic payments to Federal Government agencies. Pay.gov accepts payments via: (1) bank account (ACH) or (2) credit/debit card.
- Once your CMS data request is approved, you will receive a confirmation e-mail from or containing a link to Pay.gov.
- Go to Pay.gov’s “CMS Data Payment Form.”
- Review the overview page and click on “Continue to the Form”.
- Complete the form.
- Submit your payment. You will receive a confirmation e-mail from Pay.gov.
- Forward the confirmation e-mail to FilesforOrder@cms.hhs.gov. Please include the data use agreement number in the subject line.