- Make Your Voice Heard Request for Information Seeks Public Comment to Promote Efficiency, Reduce Burden, & Advance Equity within CMS Programs
- Enhancing Oncology Model to Improve Cancer Care: Apply by September 30
- Revision to National Coverage Determination (NCD) 240.2 (Home Use of Oxygen) to Align to 1834(a)(5)(E) of the Social Security Act
- Billing for Hospital Part B Inpatient Services
- National Correct Coding Initiative: October Quarterly Update
- Changes to the Laboratory National Coverage Determination (NCD) Edit Software for January 2023
- Quarterly Update for Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule (CLFS) and Laboratory Services Subject to Reasonable Charge Payment — Revised
Make Your Voice Heard Request for Information Seeks Public Comment to Promote Efficiency, Reduce Burden, & Advance Equity within CMS Programs
CMS released a request for information (RFI) seeking public input on accessing health care and related challenges, understanding provider experiences, advancing health equity, and assessing the impact of waivers and flexibilities provided in response to the COVID-19 public health emergency.
CMS encourages comments from all interested stakeholders, in particular, patients and their families, providers, clinicians, consumer advocates, and health care professional associations. We also encourage comments from individuals serving and located in underserved communities and from all CMS stakeholders serving populations facing disparities in health and health care. Comments must be received by November 4, 2022 to be considered.
Enhancing Oncology Model to Improve Cancer Care: Apply by September 30
The new Enhancing Oncology Model (EOM) aims to improve cancer care for Medicare patients and lower health care costs. The EOM strives to:
- Promote high-quality, patient-centered, equitable cancer care
- Encourage providers to reduce use of unnecessary services, like emergency department visits and hospitalizations, and prescribe higher-value drugs
- Deliver cancer care in a way that generates the best possible patient outcomes
- Support and learn from cancer patients and caregivers
If your oncology practice wants to participate, register and apply by September 30.
Revision to National Coverage Determination (NCD) 240.2 (Home Use of Oxygen) to Align to 1834(a)(5)(E) of the Social Security Act
The initial coverage period for patients who use home oxygen under Section D of NCD 240.2 didn’t change; this resolves a technical issue from a previous NCD update. Effective September 27, 2021, it’s either:
- 90 days
- Number of days in the practitioner prescription (if shorter)
For information about the NCD change, see the instruction to your Medicare Administrative Contractor.
Claims, Pricers, & Codes
Billing for Hospital Part B Inpatient Services
Hospitals: Review instructions to bill Medicare Part B for inpatient services to prevent claim denials, including new information on allowed revenue codes. We aren’t changing policy.
- Section 10 Medicare Benefit Policy Manual, Chapter 6 (PDF): when to bill Part B for inpatient services
- Section 70 Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 1 (PDF): time limitations for filing Part B claims
- Section 240 Medicare Claims Processing Manual, Chapter 4 (PDF): services allowed on inpatient Part B claims
- Instruction to your Medicare Administrative Contractor (PDF)
National Correct Coding Initiative: October Quarterly Update
Get the National Correct Coding Initiative (NCCI) fourth quarter edit files, effective October 1, 2022, on these Medicare NCCI webpages:
MLN Matters® Articles
Changes to the Laboratory National Coverage Determination (NCD) Edit Software for January 2023
Learn about coding updates (PDF) for 22 NCDs.
Quarterly Update for Clinical Laboratory Fee Schedule (CLFS) and Laboratory Services Subject to Reasonable Charge Payment — Revised
Because code 0340U is both a Proprietary Laboratory Analysis and an Advanced Diagnostic Laboratory Test, it has an indicator of N and a payment amount on the fee schedule. Learn more about the quarterly update (PDF).
Subscribe to the MLN Connects® newsletter. You can read previous issues in the archive.
This newsletter is current as of the issue date. View the complete disclaimer.
The Medicare Learning Network®, MLN Connects®, and MLN Matters® are registered trademarks of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS).