The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Alaska State Flexibility to Stabilize the Market Grant Award
Grant Application Summary
Alaska Grantee: State of Alaska Division of Insurance
Award Date: August 20, 2018
Total Award: $276,972.00
Baseline Award: $274,344.83
Workload Award: $2,627.17
Section 2702 - The Alaska Division of Insurance will assess current market conditions to determine whether health care plans are meeting Alaskan consumers’ needs for accessible and affordable health care coverage without unfairly discriminating against Alaskans. Alaska will use market assessment data to develop policy adjustments to improve market conditions and affordable coverage in rural versus urban settings, and to improve the disparities in coverage of Alaska’s underserved populations.
Section 2703 - The Alaska Division of Insurance will contract with a third-party to conduct research and economic and actuarial analyses regarding accessibility to affordable health care coverage. The assessment will include identifying and evaluating barriers to accessibility of affordable health care coverage throughout Alaska with an emphasis on comparing rural settings to more urban settings, establishing a rationale for economic and social factors necessary to determine what affordable coverage means, as well as determining whether plan design elements or other factors could improve access to affordable coverage in each of the five regions of Alaska (Southeast, Southwest, South central, Interior and Northern). Alaska will also identify strategies to enhance current oversight over requirements for guaranteed availability and renewability of coverage to improve accessibility to affordable health care insurance coverage in Alaska.
Section 2707 - The Alaska Division of Insurance will contract with a third-party to conduct economic and actuarial research and analyses regarding accessibility to affordable health care coverage. The data related to accessibility to affordable care and non-discriminatory Essential Health Benefits (EHB) Benchmark plan standards could also result in recommendations for improvement of rate review processes. Alaska will identify strategies to enhance current oversight over requirements for non-discrimination under comprehensive health insurance coverage to improve accessibility to affordable health care insurance coverage in Alaska.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)