The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Minnesota State Flexibility to Stabilize the Market Grant Award
Grant Application Summary
Minnesota Grantee: State of Minnesota, Department of Commerce
Award Date: August 20, 2018
Total Award: $274,593.00
Baseline Award: $274,344.83
Workload Award: $248.17
Sections 2702 and 2703 - The Minnesota Department of Commerce will perform a review of each insurance carrier in the health insurance market to ensure carriers are offering approved products for purchase and continue to offer coverage at the option of an individual or plan sponsor, unless an exception applies. The analysis will include a review of current form review processes and health plan documents to produce new standard operating procedures, checklists, and tools to assist department staff and health insurance carriers in their compliance reviews. Minnesota will also perform random audits to ensure compliance, and explore necessary policy changes to improve insurance market stability.
Section 2707- The Minnesota Department of Commerce will analyze health insurance company formularies, specifically drugs by disease state, prior authorization requirements, and drugs for treatment of mental health or substance abuse disorders. Minnesota will contract with the University of Minnesota School of Pharmacy for help with reviewing formularies. Based on the analysis, the Minnesota Department of Commerce will create two sets of standard operating procedures and checklists, one for department staff and another for health insurance companies. Minnesota will also explore other policy changes to improve insurance market stability.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)