Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan Program
The Affordable Care Act calls for the establishment of the Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan (CO-OP) Program, which will foster the creation of qualified nonprofit health insurance issuers to offer competitive health plans in the individual and small group markets.
CO-OP Advisory Board
The law also requires the Comptroller General to establish a 15-member advisory board - Opens in a new window to make recommendations to the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS) with regard to the award of grants and loans. The board appointments were made by June 23, 2010.
CCIIO works with the advisory board to assist and advise the Secretary and Congress on HHS’s strategy to foster the creation of qualified nonprofit health insurance issuers. Specifically, the advisory board provides advice regarding the awarding of grants and loans related to the CO-OP program. In these matters, the Committee shall consult with all components of the Department, other federal entities and non-federal organizations, as appropriate. It will also examine relevant data sources to assess the grant and loan award strategy to provide recommendations to CCIIO.
The Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) is a federal law (P.L. 92-463) that governs the behavior of federal advisory committees, such as the CO-OP program.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)