The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Pennsylvania Affordable Insurance Exchange Grants Awards List
Pennsylvania has received two grant awards to build its Affordable Insurance Exchange. This includes a Planning Grant and a Level One Establishment Grant.
Summaries of Pennsylvania’s applications for each grant are provided below:
Establishment Grant Level One Application Summary
Administrator: Pennsylvania Insurance Department
Award Amount: $33,832,212
Award Date: February 22, 2012
Application Due Date: December 30, 2011
Level of Funding: Level One
Summary: The Pennsylvania Insurance Department submitted an application for a Level One Establishment Grant to support continued progress toward the establishment of a State based Health Insurance Exchange. With funds from a Level One Establishment Grant, Pennsylvania plans to continue research-supported planning to assure that the state designs and facilitates the development of a new marketplace that meets the needs of its residents and the objectives of the State. The funds from this Level One Establishment Grant would allow Pennsylvania to complete planning for a Health Insurance Exchange and make decisions regarding development and design. The State would also begin the technical build of infrastructure modifications required for the Exchange’s technical systems, financial management, and business operations while preparing for consumer outreach and education.
State Planning Grant
Awarded September 30, 2010
Administrator: Pennsylvania Department of Insurance
Amount Awarded: $1,000,000
- Address Information Technology (IT) needs; including altering their various IT benefit systems (Medicaid, Food Stamps, Exchange) so they have the ability to “talk to each other,” and designing a web-portal that offers a common entry point for consumers.
- Produce a comprehensive report on the insurance market, uninsured populations, various Exchange models, and a cost analysis of program integration.
- Analysis of the steps necessary to integrate public programs and private insurance processes and a cost analysis of such integration.
- Identification of financial, information technology and business operations processes required for implementation of a successful Exchange.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)