Medicare Managed Care Eligibility and Enrollment
This page contains information for current and future contracting Medicare Advantage (MA) organizations, other health plans, and other parties interested in the operational and regulatory aspects of Medicare health plan enrollment and disenrollment.
New! Revisions to the MA and §1876 Cost Plan Enrollment and Disenrollment Guidance and Individual Enrollment Request Form for CY 2021
On August 11, 2020, CMS released the “Enrollment Guidance Policy Changes and Updates and Model Medicare Advantage and Prescription Drug Plan Individual Enrollment Request Form for the Contract Year 2021” memorandum via our Health Plan Management System (HPMS) to provide guidance and the new MA model enrollment request form updates. The policy and technical changes reflect the recently published regulation changes in CMS-4190-F to include:
- The removal of enrollment prohibitions on beneficiaries with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD);
- The establishment of two new Special Enrollment Periods (SEPs) for exceptional circumstances and the codification of previously adopted SEPs for exceptional conditions implemented through sub-regulatory guidance; in addition, to,
- The new Model Individual Enrollment Request Form to enroll in an MA plan, OMB No. 0938-1378; and
- Changes to the Electronic enrollment process to include new flexibility for Electronic Signatures.
The update to the CY 2021 guidance is now available below with the file names: CY2021 MA Enrollment and Disenrollment Guidance and CY2021 Cost Plan Enrollment and Disenrollment Guidance.
All enrollments with an effective date on or after January 1, 2021, must be processed in accordance with the revised guidance requirements, including the new model MA enrollment form. MA plans are expected to use the new model form for the 2021 plan year Annual Enrollment Period (AEP) which begins on October 15, 2020.
Information about Default Enrollment
As outlined in the 2019 guidance, only MA organizations who meet the criteria outlined and are approved by CMS may conduct default enrollment for coverage effective dates of January 1, 2019, or later.
Good Cause Flow Process and Frequently Asked Questions
Below are resources to help plans process good cause reinstatement requests:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Good Cause Triage Process Flow Chart