Pricer Source Code
COBOL Programming Language Conversion To Java Programming Language
As part of ongoing efforts to modernize Medicare payment systems, CMS is converting all 10 Pricer applications from the COBOL programming language to the Java programming language. Starting October 2021, CMS will no longer post COBOL source code for all Pricers. CMS will only post Java source code for the converted Pricers.
CMS posts Pricer source code to fulfill Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests, and facilitate Medicare pricing methodology and rate transparency. Therefore, CMS will only post Pricer source code and data files that contain pricing methodology and rates, respectively.* CMS started posting Java Pricer source code in the first quarter of 2021.
The following Pricers will not have COBOL source code for rate year 2022; only Java source code will be available. Check back for updates to this list as more Pricers are converted.
Date of First Java-only Source Code Pricer Release
- Inpatient PPS (IPPS) - October 2021
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Facility (IRF) PPS - October 2021
- Long Term Care Hospital (LTCH) PPS - October 2021
- Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) PPS - January 2022
- Outpatient PPS (OPPS) - January 2022
* CMS does not provide technical support to incorporate Pricer source code into new or existing systems outside of its Original Medicare claims processing system.