The Centers for Medicare Services (CMS) values the contributions made by students and recent graduates of all backgrounds. We continually benefit from a diverse workforce that includes students and recent graduates who infuse the workplace with their enthusiasm, talents, and unique perspectives. The Pathways Programs include three separate tiers, the Internship program, the Recent Graduates Program, and the Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program. CMS also uses the Student Volunteer Program to fill non-paid internship positions. A full description of each program may be found below.
Recent Graduates Program - Fall 2022
The Recent Graduates Program affords participants developmental experiences at CMS intended to promote possible careers to individuals who have recently graduated within the previous two years from qualifying educational institutions. This one-year program is designed to provide an opportunity to those individuals who lack experience to participate in Federal government jobs, enabling them to develop on the job as they establish their career. Successful candidates are placed in a developmental program with the potential to lead to permanent employment at CMS.
Fall 2022 Current Openings:
- Management Analyst - Opening: 10/11/2022
- Social Science Research - Opening: 11/15/2022
- Human Centered Design Specialist - Closed 9/29/22: As a Human Centered Design Specialist, you will support improvements in services across CMS, based upon qualitative assessments of user needs and applying Human Centered Design (HCD) to strategic operations, IT policy, and healthcare systems. Apply here.
- Health Policy - Closed 9/28/22: Health Policy Analysts will work on health insurance policy development, research, analysis, and program development. Apply here. This position is remote, but reports to a CMS Office located in either Baltimore, MD; Washington, DC; Boston, MA; Denver, CO; Seattle, WA; Kansas City, MO; or San Francisco, CA; on a periodic basis.
- Health Policy - Closed 9/28/22: Health Policy Analysts will work on health insurance policy development, research, analysis, and program development. Apply here.
- Accountant - Closed 9/12/22: You will serve in a trainee capacity performing limited-scope, entry-level accounting work that requires you to be equipped with well-established and basic accounting principles, theories, concepts, and practices. Apply here.
- You must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply for this position.
- You must possess a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- You must meet all program, qualification and education requirements.
- You will be subject to a background and suitability investigation.
- You must sign a Pathways Participant Agreement before starting employment.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
- Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree or certificate completion to apply.
How to Apply
Recruitment for the CMS Recent Graduates Program will take place through vacancy announcements posted on www.USAJobs.gov. When available, the announcements may be found by performing a keyword search of “CMS Recent Graduate” on the USA Jobs website. A full description of the program, qualification, and application requirements will be found in the vacancy announcements, so please read carefully. Candidates must submit a complete application online through the appropriate vacancy announcement(s) for consideration by the closing date. Pay close attention to the qualification requirements, as students who are nearing graduation may be eligible to apply.
Presidential Management Fellows (PMF) Program - Extended to 9/30/22!
The Presidential Management Fellows Program is a flagship leadership development program at the entry-level for advanced degree candidates. Created more than three decades ago, the program attracts and selects from among the best candidates and is designed to develop a cadre of potential Federal Government leaders. Here are some key provisions of the PMF Program.
- Individuals who have completed within the past two years, a qualifying advanced degree (e.g., masters or professional degree) or who will meet advanced degree requirements by August 31 of the year following the annual application announcement.
- An individual may apply for the PMF Program more than once as long as he or she meets the eligibility criteria. However, if an individual becomes a Finalist and subsequently applies for the PMF Program during the next open announcement, the individual will forfeit his or her status as a Finalist.
How to Apply
Please visit www.pmf.gov for program information and application procedures.
CMS Internship Opportunities - Closed for 2022. New info for 2023 Internships coming soon.
The Internship Program is designed to provide students enrolled in a wide variety of educational institutions, from high school to graduate level, with paid opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school. Students who successfully complete the program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent job in the civil service.
The 12-week internship is designed to enhance students' knowledge about CMS programs, mission, vision and goals; and seeks to familiarize participants about Federal, State, and local health care programs.
CLOSES 7/29/22: As a Student Trainee (Health Comms), you will be responsible for supporting senior staff in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of various health communications and marketing activities. Apply here
CLOSES 8/10/22: As a Student Trainee (Contracting), you will perform federal contract review and analysis duties. Apply here
CLOSES 8/1/22: As a Student Trainee (Data Science), you will perform duties in connection with providing computer science, mathematical, statistical, and data science activities. Apply here
CLOSES 8/4/22: As a Student Trainee (Health Insurance), you will apply standard health insurance principles and practices of the organization. Apply here
CLOSES 8/4/22: As a Student Trainee (Social Science), you will provide a variety of technical support and assistance to higher graded employees in accomplishing studies to identify and address CMS projects and programs. Apply here
CLOSES 8/5/22: As a Student Trainee (Statistician), you will support team members by collecting statistical data and information, performing data quality reviews, running statistical models, conducting data analysis, and providing assessments to management. Apply here
CLOSES 8/6/22: As a Student Trainee (Information Technology), you will assist higher-level staff to perform basic requirements elicitation and analysis for new or modified systems. Apply here
After you Apply
To verify the status of your application after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login. All of your applications will appear on the Welcome page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an Additional Application Information page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Student Volunteer Program
The Student Volunteer Program provides for a supervised, structured educational program that integrates classroom learning with productive work experience in a field related to the student’s academic majors or career goals. This non-paid internship program allows students to gain first-hand knowledge and experience of theories taught in the classroom.
The student must meet the following requirements:
- Be a U.S. citizen;
- Be at least 16 years of age;
- Be enrolled at least half-time in a high school, vocational technical school, an accredited educational institution of higher learning (college/university), or a certificate program.
How to Apply
Students may send an email with a resume (including anticipated graduation date) and unofficial transcript to StudentVolunteers@cms.hhs.gov. The subject line of the email should read "CMS Student Volunteer Program", and the body of the email should include the preferred geographic location.