The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Virginia Health Insurance Marketplace Grants Awards List
Virginia has received four grant awards to build its Health Insurance Marketplace. This includes a Planning Grant and three Level One Establishment Grants.
Summaries of Virginia’s applications for each grant are provided below:
Establishment Grant Level One Application Summary
Administrator: Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Service
Amount Awarded: $9,295,086
Award Date: October 14, 2014
Application Due Date: August 15, 2014
Level of Funding: Level One
The Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) received establishment funding to reduce the number of uninsured qualifying residents in the Commonwealth through establishment of a contractual agreement with the Virginia Community Healthcare Association (VCHA), a not-for-profit, statewide membership association representing 28 Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) and one Rural Health Clinic. Through this agreement, DMAS intends to provide financing to the VCHA in order to subcontract and fund the employment of In-Person Assistors (IPAs) to work at FQHCs/RHC sites and other partner facilities to provide direct consumer assistance as well as to expand outreach and education activities regarding health insurance opportunities available to the uninsured (or underinsured) population throughout the Commonwealth. Funding will enable these organizations to meet the needs of their patients and their communities in understanding the health insurance options available to them and in navigating the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Administrator: Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services; State Corporation Commission, Division of the Bureau of Insurance
Award Amount: $4,320,401; $1,247,402
Award Date: February 15, 2013; July 9, 2013
Application Due Date: December 28, 2012; May 15, 2013
Level of Funding: Level One
Summary: The Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services will use the Level One Establishment grant to finance IT contractual agreements including consultant costs of a Health Benefits Exchange IT Analyst, and ongoing stakeholder engagement in the development of marketplace (Exchange) activities.
The Commonwealth of Virginia, State Corporation Commission, Division of the Bureau of Insurance, with the assistance of the Virginia Department of Health, will use the additional Level One award to perform analyses and reviews necessary to support the certification, decertification, and recertification of qualified health plans (QHPs) and stand-alone dental plans (SADPs) for the Federally-facilitated Marketplace. This includes all form and rate reviews, and market analyses, necessary to support QHP/SADP certification, as well as the collection and transmission of necessary data to HHS. Grant funds will support staffing costs and actuarial contracts.
State Planning Grant
Awarded September 30, 2010
Administrator: Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services
Amount Awarded: $1,000,000
- Establish task forces in six key areas, Medicaid Reform, Insurance Market Reform and Exchanges, Delivery and Payment Reform, Capacity, Technology, and Purchasers, via the Virginia Health Reform Initiative (VHRI). VHRI has been established within the Office of the Secretary of Health and Human Resources. VHRI Advisory Council members represent leaders from the legislature, health care delivery, health care policy, health insurance, and the business community.
- Provide options on the planning, research, development, and implementation issues on how an Exchange’s governance, financial operations and oversight, and technical infrastructure.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)