The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Nebraska State Flexibility to Stabilize the Market Grant Award
Grant Application Summary
Nebraska Grantee: The Nebraska Department of Insurance
Award Date: August 20, 2018
Total Award: $278,821.74
Baseline Award: $274,344.83
Workload Award: $4,476. 91
Sections 2702 and 2703 - The Nebraska Department of Insurance, in conjunction with Nebraska’s Department of Health and Human Services Division of Rural Health, will identify areas that lack access to health care coverage and investigate ways to improve access to coverage. In addition to ensuring health insurance issuers are offering approved products for purchase and continue to offer coverage at the option of an individual or plan sponsor (unless an exception applies), Nebraska will develop guidance, such as internal memorandums and checklists, to asses methods to strengthen the type of coverage offered by issuers in the individual, small, and large group markets. The Nebraska Department of Insurance will collaborate with actuarial consultants to study cost drivers that affect premiums. Nebraska will also review U.S. census data, enrollment data from health insurance issuers, and compliant data to determine if areas within the State have less coverage than others.
Section 2707 - The Nebraska Department of Insurance will develop guidance, such as internal memorandums and checklists, to assist the department in reviewing filings in order to ensure health insurance plans do not include discriminatory benefit designs. Nebraska will provide outreach support in enforcing non-discrimination provisions through education to consumers, providers, and issuers. The Nebraska Department of Insurance will also collect compliant data from consumers and track external reviews to identify any pattern of denied claims and overturned denials for drugs and services associated with high-cost medial conditions.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)