Colorado Health Insurance Marketplace Grants Awards List
Colorado has received four grant awards to build its Health Insurance Marketplace. This includes a Planning Grant, two Level One Establishment Grants, and a Level Two Establishment Grant.
Summaries of Colorado’s applications for each grant are provided below:
Establishment Grant Level Two Application Summary
Administrator: Colorado Health Benefit Exchange
Award Amount: $116,245,677
Award Date: July 9, 2013
Application Due Date: May 15, 2013
Level of Funding: Level Two
Supplement Award: $6,055,673 (December 22, 2014)
Summary: Level Two Establishment grant funds will be used to enhance the Colorado Health Benefit Exchange’s technology systems. In addition, funds will be used to support a broad outreach and education campaign and the development of the consumer service center. The budget also includes funding for the Connect for Health Assistance Network, Colorado’s In-person assistance program also termed non-Navigator assistance. The program is designed to provide outreach and non-Navigator assistance to Exchange customers, including small employers. Lastly, Level Two grant funds will be used to support a quality improvement program.
Administrative Supplement Award Amount: $6,055,673 (December 22, 2014)
Summary: Colorado will use the level two grant supplement to enhance the marketplace’s IT systems. Colorado will provide resources for shared eligibility services, joint launch release 2.0 and 2.x build and deployment activities, post-launch stabilization activities, change/cancellation automation, and infrastructure projects.
Establishment Grant Level One Application Summary
Administrator: Colorado Health Benefit Exchange
Award Amount: $17,951,000; $43,486,747
Award Date: February 22, 2012; September 27, 2012
Application Due Date: December 30, 2011; August 15, 2012
Level of Funding: Level One
Summary: Colorado will use funding from its Level One Establishment Grant to continue to develop operational plans and activities that advance the progress of its Exchange. Using Establishment Grant funding, Colorado will build the Exchange operational staff and consulting support necessary to progress on key design requirements of the Exchange and some of the administrative and technical infrastructure to support it, including an operational plan through 2014 self-sustainability in 2015. Colorado’s principle deliverables under this grant include a fully developed plan for the administrative, technical, outreach and support systems necessary to the Exchange.
Colorado is receiving its second Level One award to continue efforts to establish the services and systems to launch Colorado’s new health insurance Exchange. Specifically, resources from this grant will provide the Colorado Health Benefit Exchange the resources to meet deadlines for certification, testing and deployment of systems and operations.
State Planning Grant
Awarded September 30, 2010
Administrator: Executive Office of the State of Colorado
Amount Awarded: $999,987
Award Supplement: $247,612 (December 22, 2011)
- Create an interagency Exchange board.
- Perform an insurance market and information technology assessment, develop an economic analysis of different options available for the Exchange, and design web services.
- Convene community forums focusing on the development of a health insurance Exchange.
- Establish parameters for and the governance structure of a State Exchange.
Administrative Supplement Award Amount: $247,612 (December 22, 2011)
Summary: Colorado will use these additional funds specifically related to personnel, travel and contracts. The staffing funds will support the Department of Insurance and Executive Officer staff on contract management and MOU development. Travel funds will support ongoing Exchange-related travel. The additional contractual funding will support ongoing market research and economic modeling and analyses, grant preparation, additional staffing, website preparation, third party administration, and engagement with legislative oversight and monitoring.
- March 5, 2020 Information Related to COVID–19 Individual and Small Group Market Insurance Coverage
- March 12, 2020 FAQs on Essential Health Benefits Coverage and the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- March 18, 2020 FAQs on Catastrophic Plan Coverage and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Availability and Usage of Telehealth Services through Private Health Insurance Coverage in Response to Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
- March 24, 2020 Payment and Grace Period Flexibilities Associated with the COVID-19 National Emergency
- March 24, 2020 FAQs on Prescription Drugs and the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) for Issuers Offering Health Insurance Coverage in the Individual and Small Group Markets
- April 11, 2020 FAQs about Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act Implementation
*This document was updated on April 15, 2020, to correct an error in footnote 10 regarding the current end date of the public health emergency related to COVID 19.
- April 13, 2020 Postponement of 2019 Benefit Year HHS-operated Risk Adjustment Data Validation (HHS-RADV)