The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Maine Affordable Insurance Exchange Grants Awards List
Maine has received three grant awards to build its Affordable Insurance Exchange. This includes a Planning Grant, an Early Innovator Grant, and a Level One Establishment Grant.
Summaries of Maine’s applications for each grant are provided below:
Establishment Grant Level One Application Summary
Administrator: State of Maine Dirigo Health Agency
Award Amount: $5,877,676
Award Date: November 29, 2011
Application Due Date: September 30, 2011
Level of Funding: Level One
Summary: Maine will use the Level One funding to: identify opportunities to leverage existing services, functions, and resources; continue stakeholder consultation; design and begin to build the business operations and systems for the Exchange, including the integration of existing Medicaid eligibility systems with new Exchange eligibility systems; develop consumer assistance capabilities; examine opportunities to modify existing programs in light of the coverage consolidations available to the state; secure expert resources to support the State’s Exchange planning and implementation process; and, engage in all other activities required to develop an Exchange that meets minimum federal requirements. Maine anticipates that the Level One funding will provide support to the State to collect and analyze data, consider options, and establish the framework for a potential submission of a Level Two Exchange grant in 2012.
Early Innovator Grant
Grantee: University of Massachusetts Medical School
Award Amount: $35,591,333
This is a multi-state consortia proposal led by the University of Massachusetts Medical School and will benefit individuals and small businesses in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Vermont. These consumers will be able to shop for, select, and purchase affordable and high-quality health plans consistent with national reform goals for 2014. The proposed project approach will be to create and build a flexible Exchange information technology framework in Massachusetts and share those products with other New England states. The proposal hopes to learn from the Massachusetts Exchange implementation and gain efficiencies so it can accelerate Exchange development for participating New England states.
State Planning Grant
Awarded September 30, 2010
Administrator: Governor’s Office of Health Policy & Finance
Amount Awarded: $1,000,000
- Continue and complement the current efforts of the Health Reform Steering Committee, comprised of key State officials, and the Advisory Council on Health Systems Development (ACHSD) to provide oversight and stakeholder input on issues related to implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
- Support the development of a detailed implementation plan for the Exchange.
- Create a stakeholder process to answer policy and implementation questions in the areas of program integration, business operations, and technical infrastructure.
- Evaluate and model various options for Maine’s Exchange and develop implementation plan.
- November 5, 2019 FAQ: Quality Rating Information Bulletin’s (Quality Bulletin’s) Display Guidelines for Direct Enrollment (DE) Entities
- November 1, 2019 Enhanced Direct Enrollment Approved Partners (Updated)
- September 11, 2019 FAQ: Enhanced Direct Enrollment Participation Requirements for Non-Issuer of a Primary EDE Entity Environment
- August 15, 2019 Quality Rating Information Bulletin for Plan Year 2020 Health Insurance Exchanges Quality Rating System (QRS) for Plan Year (PY) 2019: Results at a Glance
- April 18, 2019 CMS-9926-F: Final HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020 Final 2020 Letter to Issuers on Federally-facilitated Exchanges Key Dates for Calendar Year 2019: QHP Certification in the FFEs; Rate Review; Risk Adjustment
- April 4, 2019 Guidance on Unified Rate Review Timeline: Timing of Submission of Rate Filing Justifications for the 2019 Filing Year for Single Risk Pool Coverage Effective on or after January 1, 2020
- March 19, 2019 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator Methodology
- March 6, 2019 CMS-9921-NC: Request for Information Regarding the Sale of Individual Health Insurance Coverage Across State Lines Through Health Care Choice Compacts
- February 28, 2019 Section 1332 Pass-through Funding Tools and Resources