The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Michigan Affordable Insurance Exchange Grants Awards List
Michigan has received three grant awards to build its Affordable Insurance Exchange. This includes a Planning Grant and two Level One Establishment Grants.
Summaries of Michigan’s applications for each grant are provided below:
Establishment Grant Level One Application Summary
Administrator: State of Michigan, Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
Award Amount: $9,849,305; $30,667,944
Award Date: November 29, 2011; January 17, 2013
Application Due Date: September 30, 2011; November 15, 2012
Level of Funding: Level One
Summary: The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA) will use Level One funding to: conduct additional analysis on the impacts of the Exchange and the Affordable Care Act in Michigan, including additional insurance market analysis; acquire contractual services to assist the State and the Exchange with legal matters, technology planning, education and outreach, financing and policy issues; and, support the State of Michigan as it works toward establishment of this new entity.
Michigan will use its Level One Establishment Grant to support the Consumer Assistance partnership program including, but not limited to In-Person Assisters, Navigator Oversight and Administration, and other assistance that will support individuals as they seek health coverage. The grant will also help utilize contractual services to assist the State Partnership Exchange with planning, design and establishment of technology-related interfaces to ensure Michigan has the capacity to coordinate with the federal marketplace, and provide resources for Michigan to perform the Plan Management functions of the marketplace.
State Planning Grant
Awarded September 30, 2010
Administrator: Department of Community Health
Amount Awarded: $999,772
- Conduct the appropriate research to determine those who are potentially eligible for the Exchange and to determine how the Exchange will impact Medicaid, other public programs, and other State health plans.
- Determine how best to establish the American Health Benefits Exchange and Small Business Health Options Program (SHOP Exchange) in Michigan, considering the needs of and options available to individuals and small groups.
- Implement a plan for stakeholder involvement to determine how Michigan will implement the Exchange.
- Develop an initial plan for integration of applicable State and Federal programs and current State projects.
- Develop a plan for a governance model and structure.
- Develop an initial plan for how the Exchange will manage reporting, accounting, and auditing functions while maintaining transparency.
- Review technical components and interoperability of technology embedded in existing State systems and plan for the introduction of possible new systems necessary to properly run an Exchange.
- Review and determine the necessary State statutory and regulatory changes needed to establish the Exchange options
- November 5, 2019 FAQ: Quality Rating Information Bulletin’s (Quality Bulletin’s) Display Guidelines for Direct Enrollment (DE) Entities
- November 1, 2019 Enhanced Direct Enrollment Approved Partners (Updated)
- September 11, 2019 FAQ: Enhanced Direct Enrollment Participation Requirements for Non-Issuer of a Primary EDE Entity Environment
- August 15, 2019 Quality Rating Information Bulletin for Plan Year 2020 Health Insurance Exchanges Quality Rating System (QRS) for Plan Year (PY) 2019: Results at a Glance
- April 18, 2019 CMS-9926-F: Final HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020 Final 2020 Letter to Issuers on Federally-facilitated Exchanges Key Dates for Calendar Year 2019: QHP Certification in the FFEs; Rate Review; Risk Adjustment
- April 4, 2019 Guidance on Unified Rate Review Timeline: Timing of Submission of Rate Filing Justifications for the 2019 Filing Year for Single Risk Pool Coverage Effective on or after January 1, 2020
- March 19, 2019 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator Methodology
- March 6, 2019 CMS-9921-NC: Request for Information Regarding the Sale of Individual Health Insurance Coverage Across State Lines Through Health Care Choice Compacts
- February 28, 2019 Section 1332 Pass-through Funding Tools and Resources