The Center for Consumer Information & Insurance Oversight
Virginia Health Insurance Marketplace Grants Awards List
Virginia has received four grant awards to build its Health Insurance Marketplace. This includes a Planning Grant and three Level One Establishment Grants.
Summaries of Virginia’s applications for each grant are provided below:
Establishment Grant Level One Application Summary
Administrator: Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Service
Amount Awarded: $9,295,086
Award Date: October 14, 2014
Application Due Date: August 15, 2014
Level of Funding: Level One
The Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services (DMAS) received establishment funding to reduce the number of uninsured qualifying residents in the Commonwealth through establishment of a contractual agreement with the Virginia Community Healthcare Association (VCHA), a not-for-profit, statewide membership association representing 28 Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) and one Rural Health Clinic. Through this agreement, DMAS intends to provide financing to the VCHA in order to subcontract and fund the employment of In-Person Assistors (IPAs) to work at FQHCs/RHC sites and other partner facilities to provide direct consumer assistance as well as to expand outreach and education activities regarding health insurance opportunities available to the uninsured (or underinsured) population throughout the Commonwealth. Funding will enable these organizations to meet the needs of their patients and their communities in understanding the health insurance options available to them and in navigating the Health Insurance Marketplace.
Administrator: Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services; State Corporation Commission, Division of the Bureau of Insurance
Award Amount: $4,320,401; $1,247,402
Award Date: February 15, 2013; July 9, 2013
Application Due Date: December 28, 2012; May 15, 2013
Level of Funding: Level One
Summary: The Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services will use the Level One Establishment grant to finance IT contractual agreements including consultant costs of a Health Benefits Exchange IT Analyst, and ongoing stakeholder engagement in the development of marketplace (Exchange) activities.
The Commonwealth of Virginia, State Corporation Commission, Division of the Bureau of Insurance, with the assistance of the Virginia Department of Health, will use the additional Level One award to perform analyses and reviews necessary to support the certification, decertification, and recertification of qualified health plans (QHPs) and stand-alone dental plans (SADPs) for the Federally-facilitated Marketplace. This includes all form and rate reviews, and market analyses, necessary to support QHP/SADP certification, as well as the collection and transmission of necessary data to HHS. Grant funds will support staffing costs and actuarial contracts.
State Planning Grant
Awarded September 30, 2010
Administrator: Virginia Department of Medical Assistance Services
Amount Awarded: $1,000,000
- Establish task forces in six key areas, Medicaid Reform, Insurance Market Reform and Exchanges, Delivery and Payment Reform, Capacity, Technology, and Purchasers, via the Virginia Health Reform Initiative (VHRI). VHRI has been established within the Office of the Secretary of Health and Human Resources. VHRI Advisory Council members represent leaders from the legislature, health care delivery, health care policy, health insurance, and the business community.
- Provide options on the planning, research, development, and implementation issues on how an Exchange’s governance, financial operations and oversight, and technical infrastructure.
- November 5, 2019 FAQ: Quality Rating Information Bulletin’s (Quality Bulletin’s) Display Guidelines for Direct Enrollment (DE) Entities
- November 1, 2019 Enhanced Direct Enrollment Approved Partners (Updated)
- September 11, 2019 FAQ: Enhanced Direct Enrollment Participation Requirements for Non-Issuer of a Primary EDE Entity Environment
- August 15, 2019 Quality Rating Information Bulletin for Plan Year 2020 Health Insurance Exchanges Quality Rating System (QRS) for Plan Year (PY) 2019: Results at a Glance
- April 18, 2019 CMS-9926-F: Final HHS Notice of Benefit and Payment Parameters for 2020 Final 2020 Letter to Issuers on Federally-facilitated Exchanges Key Dates for Calendar Year 2019: QHP Certification in the FFEs; Rate Review; Risk Adjustment
- April 4, 2019 Guidance on Unified Rate Review Timeline: Timing of Submission of Rate Filing Justifications for the 2019 Filing Year for Single Risk Pool Coverage Effective on or after January 1, 2020
- March 19, 2019 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator 2020 Final Actuarial Value Calculator Methodology
- March 6, 2019 CMS-9921-NC: Request for Information Regarding the Sale of Individual Health Insurance Coverage Across State Lines Through Health Care Choice Compacts
- February 28, 2019 Section 1332 Pass-through Funding Tools and Resources