FFS Expedited Determination Notices
HHAs, SNFs, Hospices, and CORFs are required to provide a Notice of Medicare Non-Coverage (NOMNC) to beneficiaries when their Medicare covered service(s) are ending. The NOMNC informs beneficiaries on how to request an expedited determination from their Quality Improvement Organization (QIO) and gives beneficiaries the opportunity to request an expedited determination from a QIO. A Detailed Explanation of Non-Coverage (DENC) is given only if a beneficiary requests an expedited determination. The DENC explains the specific reasons for the end of covered services.
Full instructions for the Original Medicare, also known as Fee for Service (FFS), expedited determination process are available in Section 260, of Chapter 30 of the CMS Claims Processing Manual, available below in "Downloads".
To download the current FFS Expedited Determination Notices and Instructions (the NOMNC and DENC), please click on the appropriate link below in "Downloads".
Questions regarding the NOMNC and DENC can be emailed to BNImailbox@cms.hhs.gov.
- Notice of Medicare Non-Coverage (NOMNC) Forms (Incl Large Print)- English and Spanish [ZIP, 192KB]
- Instructions for Notice of Medicare Non-Coverage [PDF, 33KB]
- Detailed Explanation of Non-Coverage (DENC) Forms (Incl Large Print)- English and Spanish [ZIP, 253KB]
- Instructions for Detailed Explanation of Non-Coverage [PDF, 18KB]
- Chapter 30 - Financial Liability Protections [PDF, 1MB]
- Page last Modified: 07/18/2018 10:15 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins