Register as a Covered Recipient
Covered recipients must register to review and dispute information reported to Open Payments. If you’re a physician, you can also nominate an authorized representative to review and dispute data on your behalf once you’ve registered.
These instructions are for physicians and teaching hospitals. Newly added covered recipients will be able to register by 2022.
Step 1: Register in the Identity Management System. This step confirms your identity and makes sure others can’t get your information. IDM will automatically deactivate any user that has not logged in for 180 days or more. Users must call the Open Payments Help Desk at 1-855-326-8366 or TTY line call 1-844-649-2766 to reinstate an account after 180 days of inactivity.
Step 2: Register for the Open Payments system in the CMS Portal. This step lets you see the data reported about you.
Step 3 (Optional): Nominate an authorized representative.
You can nominate a member of your staff to act as your authorized representative. If you provide the appropriate access level your authorized representative will be able to review and dispute your data. Find more information in this reference guide (PDF).
- Log in to the Open Payments system via the CMS Enterprise Portal and select the “My Profile” tab.
- Select the “My Profile Details” tab. Select “Update Profile.”
- Select “Yes, designate an authorized representative.” The fields required to nominate an authorized representative will appear on the screen.
- Enter information on the nominee for all required fields. The default level of access is “Read.” For other levels, select “Modify Profile” and/or “Dispute Records.” When done, select “Save Updates.”
Registration Instructions for Office Managers and Staff
A physician must first nominate you to be an authorized representative. Once you’ve been nominated, you’ll receive an email notification that contains a Nomination ID, which you’ll need to accept or reject the nomination. You have 10 calendar days to accept or reject a nomination before the request becomes inactive.
- Log in to or register in the Open Payments system via the CMS Enterprise Portal. For more detailed information on registration, view the IDM Registration Quick Reference Guide (PDF). IDM will automatically deactivate any user that has not logged in for 180 days or more. Users must call the Open Payments Help Desk at 1-855-326-8366 or TTY line call 1-844-649-2766 to reinstate an account after 180 days of inactivity.
Once registered in the CMS Portal:
- If you are a first-time Open Payments system user, select “Create My Profile.” Select “Start Profile” at the bottom of the screen. Select the “I have a Nomination ID and Registration ID” link on the “Select Profile Type” page.
- If you are a returning user, select the “My Profile” tab. Select “My Roles and Nominations,” then select “Accept/Reject Nominations.”
- Select the user type “Physician” from the drop-down list and enter the nomination ID from the nomination notification email.