Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
To help health care providers understand the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs, CMS has compiled a comprehensive list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) and answers*.
Click here (PDF) to review EHR Incentive Program questions and answers related to the following topics:
- General Questions (PDF)
- Hardship Exceptions (PDF)
- Eligibility and Participation (PDF)
- Group Reporting (PDF)
- Place of Service (POS) (PDF)
- Audits (PDF)
- Privacy and Security (PDF)
- Medicaid (PDF)
- Objectives and Measures (PDF)
- Certified Electronic Health Record Technology (CEHRT) (PDF)
- Incentive Payments (PDF)
- Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs) (PDF)
- Payment Adjustments (PDF)
- Advancing Care Information (ACI) (PDF)
- Opioid Measures (PDF)
- Non-Opioid Measures (PDF)
Each FAQ is associated with a FAQ number. To find an FAQ, search the document by FAQ number or by a topic listed above.
*Previously, the FAQs were housed here. However, that site will no longer house FAQs related to the EHR program after March 2nd, 2018.
For More Information
For additional questions about the EHR Incentive Programs, please contact EHR Information Center at 1-888-734-6433 (press option 1) or 888-734-6563 (TTY number). The EHR Information Center is open Monday – Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except federal holidays.