Alaska Health Insurance Consumer Help

Alaska does not operate a Consumer Assistance Program under the Affordable Care Act. The new consumer protections and benefits of the law still apply to you, however. 

The agencies listed below can help you take advantage of some of these new protections and benefits. They can answer your questions about different types of coverage.

If you need health insurance, be sure to check out’s Plan Finder.  It will help you find and compare health care coverage options in your area.

If you have questions about insurance you bought for yourself and/or your family or you have insurance provided by an employer who does business only in Alaska, contact:

Alaska Division of Insurance
Juneau Office
Street Address:
9th Floor, State Office Bldg.
333 Willoughby Avenue
Juneau, AK 99801
(907) 465-2515
(800) INSURAK (1-800-467-8725) (in-state only)
TDD: (907) 465-5437

Mailing Address:
PO Box 110805
Juneau, AK 99811-0805

Anchorage Office:
Robert B. Atwood Building
550 W. 7th Avenue, Suite 1560
Anchorage, AK 99501-3567
(907) 269-7900
(800) INSURAK (1-800-467-8725) (in-state only)
TDD: (907) 465-5437 - Opens in a new window  

If you have a hard time affording health coverage and you have questions about eligibility or current Medicaid benefits, go to:

Alaska Medicaid Program
State of Alaska Health & Social Services
Division of Public Assistance
400 Gambell Street
Anchorage, AK 99501
(888) 876-2477

Program and Benefits:
Division of Health Care Services
4501 Business Park Blvd.
Bldg. L, Ste. 24
Anchorage, AK 99503-7167 
(907) 334-2520

You may apply for Medicaid at your local Division of Public Assistance office or with the village fee agent in your community.

If you are not eligible for Medicaid, your child may still be eligible for the Children’s Health Insurance Program. For questions about eligibility or benefits, go to:  

Denali KidCare (Alaska Children’s Health Insurance Program)
Street Address
3601 C Street 
Frontier Building, Suite 120
Anchorage, AK 99503
(907) 269-8950
(800) 478-4372

If you have a question, complaint, or dispute regarding insurance you get through a “self-insured”  employer (typically a large company or one with locations in multiple states or countries), go to:  

U.S. Department of Labor
Employee Benefits Security Administration
200 Constitution Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20210
(866) 4-USA-DOL (866-487-2365)

If you are on Medicare and have a question, or if you have a disability or end stage renal disease and want to enroll or find out if you are eligible for Medicare, contact:  

Alaska State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP)
In Anchorage: (907) 269-3666
Toll Free in Alaska: (800) 478-9996

If you are a veteran and have a question or concern about veterans’ health care benefits, go to:  

US Department of Veterans Affairs
(877) 222-VETS (8387)

If you have questions about your health insurance that are not covered by the above resources, call the Health Insurance Assistance Team of the U.S. Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight at (888) 393-2789.

Back to Map