The educational resources listed on this web page are designed to promote and increase national awareness of CMS' Hospital-Acquired Conditions (HAC) and Present on the Admission (POA) Indicator Reporting policy. This page has recently been updated to include the audio file and transcript for the December 18, 2008 Listening Session.
HAC & POA Listening Session
This fact sheet will help providers learn how to apply the Present on Admission (POA) indicator to the final set of diagnosis codes that have been assigned in accordance with Sections I, II, and III of the official coding guidelines.
On December 18, 2008, CMS and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention held a jointly-sponsored Listening Session on Hospital-Acquired Conditions in the Inpatient Setting and Healthcare-Associated Conditions in the Hospital Outpatient Setting. Information from the session is available in the Downloads section below, including the following: (1) Federal Register Notice, (2) agenda, (3) audio file and (4) transcript from the session.
CMS has developed two fact sheets which contain an overview description of HAC and POA. The fact sheets are available in the Downloads section below.
Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Fiscal Year (FY) 2009 Final Rule
The IPPS FY 2009 Final Rule, Press Release and Fact Sheets, and Change Request (CR) 6086 are available in the Statute/Regulations/Program Instructions section, accessible through the navigation menu at left.
Public Reporting of the Deficit Reduction Act (DRA) Hospital Acquired Condition (HAC) and Patient Safety Indicator (PSI)-11 Measure Rates
CMS has developed a FAQ document that includes general information about the public reporting, measure methodology and calculation process for hospitals measure rates of four conditions included in the DRA HAC payment provision and the AHRQ PSI-11 – Postoperative Respiratory Failure measure. The DRA HAC measures and PSI-11 are solely reported for hospitals’ information and quality improvement purposes, and are not a part of the DRA HAC payment provision or the HAC Reduction Program. The FAQ document is located in the Downloads section below.
- Fact Sheet - Hospital-Acquired Conditions and Present on Admission Indicator Reporting [PDF, 1MB]
- Fact Sheet - Hospital Acquired Conditions (HAC) in Acute Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS) Hospitals [PDF, 167KB]
- CMS-1422-N [PDF, 127KB]
- HAC & POA Listening Session Transcript [PDF, 488KB]
- HAC & POA Listening Session Power Point Presentation [ZIP, 302KB]
- Frequently Asked Questions – Deficit Reduction Act (DRA) Hospital-Acquired Condition (HAC) and Patient Safety Indicator (PSI) Public Reporting [PDF, 190KB]
- Page last Modified: 08/18/2015 1:34 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins