Hospice Item Set (HIS)
About this Page
The Hospice Item Set (HIS) web page provides updates, announcements, and resources specific to the HIS. On this page you will find direct links to the HIS, the HIS manual, fact sheets, and training materials. Announcements related to HIS activities (such as trainings and OMB approval) are posted here.
The content on this page relates to HIS items and data collection only; if you are looking for information on HIS-based quality measures, including measure specifications, visit the “Current Measures” portion of this webpage.
For questions related to content posted on this page, please contact the Quality Help Desk at HospiceQualityQuestions@cms.hhs.gov.
November 15, 2018
Version 2.01 of the HIS Manual is Now Available
The HIS Manual has been updated with refined guidance for completing the HIS based on frequently asked questions from the Hospice Quality Help Desk. Note that no updates were made to HIS items or the HIS itself (i.e., no HIS items have been added, deleted, or changed). Instead, additional guidance based on provider feedback from the Hospice Quality Help Desk has been added to the manual to clarify HIS coding instructions.
Updates were made throughout the manual, so providers should consider replacing their existing versions of the HIS Manual V2.00 with the new HIS Manual V2.01. Additionally, providers can review the change table for a quick glance at the updates that were made to the HIS Manual. The new version of the HIS Manual V2.01 and the associated change table can be found in the Downloads section below.
- HIS Manual Change Table_V2.00 to V2.01 [PDF, 81KB]
- HIS_Manual_V2.01 [PDF, 1MB]
- HQRP-HIS-v2000-Admission [PDF, 446KB]
- HQRP-HIS-v2000-Discharge [PDF, 294KB]
- CMS Hospice QRP Master Guidance-Item A1400- June 2017 (1).pdf [PDF, 108KB]
- Timeliness Compliance Threshold Fact Sheet_Update_August 2016_FINAL [PDF, 140KB]
- Supporting Analyses for HIS V2.00.0 Updates_Final [PDF, 217KB]
- Page last Modified: 11/15/2018 2:08 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins