Referral Certification and Authorization
Under HIPAA, HHS adopted standards for electronic transactions, including for referral certification and authorization.
The referral certification and authorization transaction is any of the following:
- A request from a health care provider to a health plan to obtain an authorization of health care
- A request from a health care provider to a health plan to obtain authorization for referring an individual to another health care provider
- A response from a health plan to a health care provider about authorization and referral requests
HIPAA Adopted Standards
In January 2009, HHS adopted Version 5010 of the ASC X12N 278 for referral certification and authorization.
For pharmacy-related referral certifications and authorizations, HHS adopted NCPDP Telecommunications Standard Version D.0.
These standards apply to all HIPAA-covered entities, health plans, health care clearinghouses, and certain health care providers, not just those who work with Medicare or Medicaid.
For More Information
- Page last Modified: 06/21/2016 6:35 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins