Premier Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration
CMS is pursuing a vision to improve the quality of health care by expanding the information available about quality of care and through direct incentives to reward the delivery of superior quality care. Through the Premier Hospital Quality Incentive Demonstration CMS aims to see a significant improvement in the quality of inpatient care by awarding bonus payments to hospitals for high quality in several clinical areas, and by reporting extensive quality data on the CMS web site.
The demonstration involves a CMS partnership with Premier Inc., a nationwide organization of not-for-profit hospitals, and will reward participating top performing hospitals by increasing their payment for Medicare patients. Participation in the demonstration is voluntary and open to hospitals in the Premier Perspective system as of March 31, 2003. A list of participating hospitals can be found in the Downloads section below.
Under the demonstration, hospital performance will be based on evidence-based quality measures for inpatients associated with several clinical areas. For a complete list of clinical conditions and quality measures, see the link below. Results of the project and more information can be found at the links below.
- All performers for Year 6 [ZIP, 1MB]
- All performers for Year 5 [ZIP, 2MB]
- All performers for Year 4 (10/2006 to 09/2007) [ZIP, 816KB]
- Press Releases and Fact Sheet [PDF, 32KB]
- Terms Conditions and First Amendment [ZIP, 213KB]
- Clinical Conditions and Measures and List of Revised or Suppressed [ZIP, 238KB]
- Participating Hospitals [PDF, 58KB]
- Composite Quality Score Methodology Overview And Sample [ZIP, 274KB]
- About Premier and Historical Data [ZIP, 97KB]
- Calculation of Payment Incentive [PDF, 12KB]
- Top 50% performers for Year 1 (10/2003 to 09/2004), Year 2 (10/2004 to 09/2005) and Year 3 (10/2005 to 09/2006) [ZIP, 377KB]
- Page last Modified: 01/09/2013 9:25 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins