HIPAA Eligibility Transaction System (HETS)
The HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) Eligibility Transaction System (HETS) allows you to check Medicare beneficiary eligibility data in real-time. Use HETS to prepare accurate Medicare claims, determine beneficiary liability, or check eligibility for specific services.
HETS allows users to submit HIPAA compliant 270 eligibility request files over a secure connection and receive 271 response files. Submitters must develop or acquire a tool to construct and send 270 eligibility request files and receive and deconstruct 271 eligibility response files in a real-time environment. HETS 270/271 application supports real-time transactions only. The HETS 270/271 application does not accept batch transactions.
Our HDT User Guide [PDF, 2MB] will help you get started.
- Medicare HETS 270/271 Eligibility - Information Bulletin - Upcoming System Releases - December 5, 2017
- Medicare HETS 270/271 Eligibility - Information Bulletin - December 1, 2017
- Medicare HETS 270/271 - System Outage Notification – December 16, 2017
- Medicare HETS 270/271 Eligibility - Information Bulletin - Upcoming HETS 270/271 New Medicare Card Project Release Update - November 30, 2017
- Medicare HETS 270/271 - MBI Information Bulletin - October 30, 2017
- Medicare HETS 270/271 - MBI Information Bulletin - September 28, 2017
Regularly scheduled maintenance occurs every Monday from 12 to 5 am ET. Please plan accordingly; the system is unavailable and transactions will not process during this period.
The MCARE Help Desk is accessible Monday through Friday, from 7 am to 7 pm ET. Be ready to provide examples of any issues in a timely manner for proper support.
- Page last Modified: 12/06/2017 11:06 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins