03/30/2023: CMS released the 2023 MMP Performance Data Technical Notes & MMP Performance Data File. More information is available below.
Under the capitated model, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), a state, and a health plan enter into a three-way contract to provide comprehensive, coordinated care.
In the capitated model, CMS and the state will pay each health plan a prospective capitation payment. More information on rate setting:
- Joint Rate-Setting Process for the Capitated Financial Alignment Model (03/19/2019) (PDF)
- Proposed Changes to the CMS-HCC Risk Adjustment Model for Payment Year 2017 Memo (10/28/2015) (PDF)
- Medicare A/B Payment to Medicare-Medicaid Plans Participating in the Financial Alignment Initiative for Contract Year 2016 Memo (11/12/2015) (PDF)
Medicare-Medicaid Plan Performance Data
Under the capitated model, CMS is collecting a variety of measures that examine plan performance and the quality of care provided to enrollees. The Medicare-Medicaid Plan (MMP) performance data published here represent currently available data on MMP performance on certain Medicare Parts C and D quality measures as well as select CMS core that MMPs are required to report.
- 2023 MMP Performance Data Technical Notes (PDF)
- 2023 MMP Performance Data File (XLSX)
- MMP Performance Data Technical Notes Archive (ZIP)
- MMP Performance Data File Archive (ZIP)
For additional information on the longer term vision for a quality ratings strategy and the way that information on MMP performance will be publicly reported during the interim period see:
- Medicare-Medicaid Plan Quality Ratings and Performance Data Strategy Update (06/15/2016) (PDF)
- Medicare-Medicaid Plan Quality Ratings Strategy (11/06/15) (PDF)
To participate in the Financial Alignment Initiative, each state had to submit a proposal outlining its proposed approach. States interested in the new financial alignment opportunities were required to submit a letter of intent by October 1, 2011. When a proposal meets the standards and conditions for the Financial Alignment Initiative, CMS and a state will develop a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to establish the parameters of the demonstration.
Prior to enrolling or marketing under the capitated model, each health plan must pass a readiness review.
Visit these pages for more information about CMS approved demonstrations in specific states:
For more information, please email MMCOcapsmodel@cms.hhs.gov.
Want regular email updates? Sign up by visiting this link.
We’re always looking for ways to improve the experience and usability of our webpages. If you’ve Feedback or issues to report, please contact us at MMCOWeb@cms.hhs.gov.