Health Insurance Marketplace Quality Initiatives
- CMS requests comment on proposed refinements to the QRS and QHP Enrollee Survey included in the Draft 2019 Call Letter for the Quality Rating System and the Qualified Health Plan Enrollee Experience Survey. CMS encourages interested parties to submit comments to Marketplace_Quality@cms.hhs.gov and reference "Marketplace Quality Initiatives (MQI)-Draft 2019 QRS Call Letter" in the subject line by the close of the comment period (March 18, 2019).
- CMS is seeking public comment on the renewal of information collection request associated with the Marketplace Quality Initiative programs (i.e., the Quality Rating System, QHP Enrollee Survey, and Patient Safety Standards). CMS published the following Federal Register Notice (https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/02/14/2019-02231/agency-information-collection-activities-proposed-collection-comment-request) on February 14, 2019. The 60-day public comment period will close on April 15, 2019.
- CMS released the 2019 Quality Rating System (QRS) and Qualified Health Plan Enrollee Experience Survey (QHP Enrollee Survey) Operational Instructions, which provide information on the 2019 QRS and QHP Enrollee Survey reporting requirements and detailed information on how to: Prepare reporting units to collect and submit both 2019 QRS clinical measure data and QHP Enrollee Survey response data; Generate sample frames for the QHP Enrollee Survey; Complete the National Committee for Quality Assurance’s (NCQA) Healthcare Organization Questionnaire (HOQ) (i.e., confirm reporting unit information, select an HHS-approved QHP Enrollee Survey vendor, and validate the sample frame); and Provide information regarding reporting unit ineligibility through the submission of an Ineligibility Template, if applicable. The 2019 Quality Rating System (QRS) and Qualified Health Plan Enrollee Experience Survey (QHP Enrollee Survey) Operational Instructions can be found here.
CMS has posted the 2019 Quality Rating System Measure Technical Specifications, which includes the measure specifications and guidelines for data collection for the 2019 QRS measure set. QHP issuers will need to reference this document in order to collect and submit QRS measure data to CMS in accordance with the QRS 2019 requirements. QHP issuers with questions regarding the QRS or the QHP Enrollee Survey should contact the Marketplace Service Desk (CMS_FEPS@cms.hhs.gov) and reference the Marketplace Quality Initiatives or "MQI-QRS."
- CMS has posted the Quality Rating System and Qualified Health Plan Enrollee Experience Survey: Technical Guidance for 2019. QHP issuers certified to offer coverage through the Exchanges in 2019 are required to comply with QRS and QHP Enrollee Survey requirements as a condition of certification. QHP issuers with questions regarding the QRS or the QHP Enrollee Survey should contact the CMS Marketplace Service Desk (MSD) (CMS_FEPS@cms.hhs.gov) and reference the Marketplace Quality Initiatives or "MQI-QRS.”
- CMS releases an update to the Quality Rating Information Bulletin to announce that for the 2019 Open Enrollment Period, we are extending the Quality Rating System (QRS) Star Ratings pilot to three additional states. In addition to Virginia and Wisconsin, star ratings will now be available for Michigan, Montana and New Hampshire. This consumer pilot testing helps us analyze the impact of QRS star ratings on consumer behavior, with the ultimate goal of providing consumers with information they need to make their health plan decisions.
CMS is pleased to announce the 2019 approved vendors. QHP Issuers must contract with an HHS-approved survey vendor. The list of the 2019 approved vendors can be found here. Exchanges are required to publicly report information on costs, coverage, quality ratings, and enrollee experience for each Qualified Health Plan (QHP) offered. Enrollee experience data will be collected through the QHP Enrollee Survey.
CMS has posted the 2019 Qualified Health Plan Enrollee Experience Survey and the templates for all survey materials.
- Please seek further information for the QHP Survey on the QHP Survey Page located here.
- CMS has posted the Quality Improvement Strategy (QIS) Technical Guidance and User Guide for the 2019 Plan Year and the 2019 QIS Implementation Plan and Progress Report Form. The QIS Technical Guidance and User Guide communicates finalized QIS requirements and instructions for how to complete the QIS Implementation Plan and Progress Report form (QIS form). The QIS form collects QIS information from issuers in order to demonstrate compliance with section 1311(c)(1)(E) of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
- QHP issuers with questions regarding QIS should contact the Marketplace Service Desk (MSD) Help Desk and reference the Marketplace Quality Initiatives or "MQI-QIS."
Upcoming Deadlines and Events
|HHS-approved QHP Enrollee Survey vendor conducts the QHP Enrollee Survey on the validated survey sampling frame.||February – May 2019|
|QHP issuer submits the validated QRS clinical measure data, with attestation, to CMS via NCQA’s Interactive Data Submission System (IDSS). Note: Each QHP issuer must submit and plan-lock its QRS clinical measure data by June 1 to allow the HEDIS® Compliance Auditor sufficient time to review, approve, and audit-lock all submissions by the June 17 deadline.||June 17, 2019|
QHP issuers, Marketplace administrators, and CMS preview the 2019 QHP quality rating information and QHP Enrollee Survey results.
|More information will be released forthcoming.||N/A|
Marketplace Quality Initiatives Listserv
Marketplace Service Help Desk (MSD) (reference “Marketplace Quality Initiatives”):
Registration for Technical Assistance Portal (REGTAP)
Center for Consumer Information and Insurance Oversight (CCIIO) website:
- Page last Modified: 02/27/2019 1:42 PM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins