Education & Training
The Medicare Learning Network® (MLN)
The MLN provides knowledge, resources, and training for the Medicare Fee-For-Service provider community. Go to MLN Publications for downloadable publications and the MLN Learning Management System (LMS) (PDF) for free 24/7 access to web-based training (WBT) courses.
To access the Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) Consolidated Billing (CB) Web-Based Training (WBT) course go to the LM/POS, log in, and use the search box to locate the WBT. This course provides education for providers, suppliers, and other health care professionals about SNF CB requirements. Learn about:
- Payment for the majority of services provided to beneficiaries in a Medicare-covered SNF stay, including most services provided by entities other than the SNF; and
- Bundled prospective payments made through the Fiscal Intermediary (FI)/A/B Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) to the SNF.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to correctly:
- Identify SNF coverage and payment guidelines;
- Recognize why Congress enacted CB;
- Describe SNF CB;
- Identify when SNF CB requirements do not apply;
- Recognize the services excluded from SNF CB;
- Identify the services that are included under SNF CB for beneficiaries in a noncovered stay;
- Describe “under arrangement” agreements between SNF and other providers or suppliers.
CMS Manual System
Skilled Nursing Facility PPS Manual
Swing Bed Manual - Revised November 2005: These changes are effective November 2005 (See Download section below)
We have completed an update to the MDS manual, and it has been posted on our web site at http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MinimumDatasets20.
We had planned to integrate the swing bed manual into this new MDSE manual. However, in reviewing the comments on the draft, the consensus was that it would be better to keep the two manuals separate. We agreed and deleted the swing bed sections from the updated MDSE version.
Of course, the swing bed hospitals are still subject to the same MDS coding requirements as the nursing facilities. For this reason, we are reviewing and updating the Swing Bed Manual to make sure it reflects any new information included in the December 2002 edition of the MDSE Manual.
RUG IV Education
MDS 3.0 changes effective for FY 2015. A zip file below contains two documents related to MDS 3.0 changes effective for FY 2015. The first is a memo which describes the transition guidelines for the changes to the COT OMRA, outlined in the FY 2015 SNF PPS final rule (79 FR 45647 through 45649). The second is a memo which clarifies certain issues and scenarios related to these COT OMRA changes.