Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program (HACRP)
Section 3008 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) established the Hospital-Acquired Condition (HAC) Reduction Program to provide an incentive for hospitals to reduce HACs. Effective beginning Fiscal Year (FY) 2015 (discharges beginning on October 1, 2014), the HAC Reduction Program requires the Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services to adjust payments to applicable hospitals that rank in the worst-performing 25 percent all subsection (d) hospitals with respect to risk-adjusted HAC quality measures. These hospitals will be subject to a 1 percent payment reduction In the FY 2018 HAC Reduction Program, hospitals with a Total HAC Score greater than 0.3687 may be subject to a payment reduction.
The following FY 2018 HAC Reduction Program related information for eligible hospitals will be available publicly on Hospital Compare in December: the scores for each measure used in the program, Domain 1 and Domain 2 scores, and Total HAC Score. Background information regarding the HAC Reduction Program measures, scoring methodology, review and corrections process, and hospital specific reports can be found on the QualityNet webpage. Please refer to the Related Links section below.
NOTE: The HAC Reduction Program is a separate and distinct program from the Hospital-Acquired Conditions Present on Admission Indicator (HAC POA) program established by the Deficit Reduction Act (DRA) of 2005. For more information on the DRA HAC POA program refer to http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/HospitalAcqCond/index.html.
- FY 2017 Inpatient Prospective Payment System Final Rule: HAC Reduction Program Information [ZIP, 161KB]
- Hospital Compare - Opens in a new window
- QualityNet: HAC Reduction Program - Opens in a new window
- FY 2018 HAC Reduction Program Fact Sheet [PDF, 266KB]
- FY 2018 HAC Reduction Program Key Dates Matrix [PDF, 37KB]
- FY2018 Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program Webinar - Opens in a new window
- Page last Modified: 07/20/2017 11:43 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins