News and Updates
This page features the latest program news and updates about the Shared Savings Program and related initiatives.
For a list of Shared Savings Program ACOs, visit Data.CMS.gov.
- Shared Savings Program. The fifth cycle begins January 1, 2015.
- December 1, 2014 – CMS released a new proposal to strengthen the Shared Savings Program for ACOs. The rule proposes changes to several program areas including beneficiary assignment, data sharing, available performance risk models, eligibility requirements, participation agreement renewals, and compliance and monitoring. The proposed rule reflects input from program participants, experts, consumer groups, and the stakeholder community at large. You can view a PDF version at: http://www.ofr.gov/(X(1)S(tofvuj12vvyo3oiwkp3jkln3))/OFRUpload/OFRData/2014-28388_PI.pdf. The 60-day comment period closes February 6, 2015, at 5 p.m. Eastern Time. Comments are being accepted at: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2014/12/08/2014-28388/medicare-program-medicare-shared-savings-program-accountable-care-organizations.
- November 7, 2014 – CMS has posted the Performance Year 1 final financial reconciliation and quality performance results for all ACOs with 2012 and 2013 agreement start dates data on the Data.CMS.gov website. You can view the data at https://data.cms.gov/ACO/Medicare-Shared-Savings-Program-Accountable-Care-O/yuq5-65xt.
- September 22, 2014 – CMS announced the Performance Year 1 quality performance results for ACOs with 2012 and 2013 agreement start dates. For the first Performance Year, CMS defined the quality performance standard at the level of complete and accurate reporting for all quality measures. In Performance Year 1, 209 ACOs met the quality performance standard and were eligible to share in savings, if earned. Quality performance for Performance Year 1 reconciliation for ACOs with 2012 start dates is based on complete and accurate reporting of all required quality measures for Calendar Years 2012 and 2013. Quality performance for Performance Year 1 reconciliation for ACOs with 2013 start dates is based on complete and accurate reporting of all required quality measures for Calendar Year 2013. The quality performance results provided in the Performance Year 1 announcement reflect Calendar Year 2013 performance rates for 220 ACOs. The Calendar Year 2013 mean quality performance rate for each measure, across all ACOs, is also provided.
- September 16, 2014 – CMS announced Performance Year 1 FINAL financial reconciliation and quality performance results for ACOs with 2012 and 2013 agreement start dates. Fifty-three ACOs with 2012 and 2013 start dates generated shared savings during their first performance year; performance year 1 is a 21- or 18-month period for ACOs with 2012 start dates, and a 12 month period for ACOs with 2013 start dates. ACOs that generated savings earned a performance payment if they met the quality standard. One Track 2 ACO with shared losses must repay CMS. This table will be updated soon with additional details. For more information, see the Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) press release and fact sheet.
- January 30, 2014—CMS announced Performance Year 1 INTERIM financial reconciliation results for ACOs that started in April and July 2012 [PDF, 69KB] . Thirty-one ACOs that started in the Shared Savings Program in April or July 2012 generated shared savings or losses during their first 12 months of participation. We will complete the FINAL Performance Year 1(PY1) reconciliation later this year on all ACOs that started in 2012 and 2013. Consequently, an ACO’s final performance results may differ from their interim results. ACOs that earned a performance payment were eligible for interim payment because they met the quality standard, elected the interim payment option in their application, and posted the required repayment mechanism. A Track 2 ACO with shared losses must repay CMS based on interim PY1 reconciliation if it elected the interim payment option in its application and posted the required repayment mechanism.
- December 23, 2013—CMS announced that 123 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The fourth cycle begins January 1, 2014.
- Press Release: More partnerships between doctors and hospitals strengthen coordinated care for Medicare beneficiaries
- List of 123 Medicare Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organizations
- January 10, 2013—CMS announced that 106 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The third cycle began on January 1, 2013.
- List of 106 Medicare Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organizations [PDF, 186KB]
- July 9, 2012—CMS announced that 87 new organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The second cycle began on July 1, 2012.
- April 10, 2012—CMS announced that 27 organizations have been selected to participate in the Shared Savings Program. The first cycle began on April 1, 2012.
- November 10, 2011 – Making Good on ACOs' Promise — The Final Rule for the Medicare Shared Savings Program - Donald M. Berwick, M.D. from the New England Journal of Medicine.
- October 20, 2011 – HHS Announces New Incentives for Providers to Work Together Through Accountable Care Organizations When Caring for People with Medicare
- Page last Modified: 03/06/2015 7:13 AM
- Help with File Formats and Plug-Ins